Stain vs. Paint on Redwood

Hello,

I am installing fence which is using 4x4 redwood posts for the supporting structure. The fence will run the length of an old concrete wall that is topped with a chain link between along my property line. Because the fence will be abutting this wall, I will have not have ready access to the posts once the fence is installed.

I am looking for the best way to protect (painting or staining) these posts from weathering and rot over the long haul so that I do not have to restain/paint them for as long as possible. Asethetic is not a key concern since the posts will be for the most part obscured by the concrete wall. The only portion visible will be the portion that is above the wall and visible from through the chain link fence on my neighbor's side.

Any suggestions? I have read that solid color alkyd stains are good for my intended purpose, but I have no real clue on this. Also any suggestions on products would be helpful. Thanks.

Naveen

Reply to
naveenreddyla

Paint provides better UV protection over time, but stain will not peel. You could go with an opaque stain. Go with a quality product. I like Cabot Decking stain (about 6 different colors or so).

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi, My only choice is best quality stain. Painting? I'd rather leave it as is then.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I use Cabot's Decking Stain, the opaque version, which has pigments, but does not peel. Did my decks three years ago, and they look fabulous. Cabots opaque stains are top rated this year by Consumer Reports, among all deck and fence treatments. Roger

Reply to
Roger Taylor