Spray paint with acetone and xylene on oil primer?

Thought I'd try rustoleum hammered finish spray paint on some wrought iron that has an oil base primer on it. But the can says that there's acetone and xylene in the spray paint. Tried calling Rustoleum, but the rep was basically non-committal saying to try it on a small area first.

If those solvents are used as thinners for paints and for removal of other petroleum based products, I'm thinking that it probably shouldn't be used on oil primer.

Anyone know for sure?

Reply to
al

They should evaporate fairly readily and not be a problem. Just don't spray to the point where they drip or are overly wet.

Reply to
Frank

Let us know how it turns out. I'll put my bet on the Rustoleum softening the primer and lifting it off in chunks. It may be that the Rusroleum is intended for use on metal without a primer. What does it say in the directions on the can?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The label says "no primer needed"; directions make no reference to a primer other than to say that using rustoleum Stops Rust primer provides superior adhesion and hiding. It also says to lightly sand glossy surfaces, cautioning that sanding old paint may release dust.

I wonder if the length of time the primer has been on there would make a difference. The longer the better.

Reply to
al

The only way to really no for sure is to try it on the paint you are dealing with. They will evaporate fast and slight chemical induced softening of the upper layer of existing paint surface could even promote better adhesion.

Reply to
DB