Son's car problem

  Too bad he didn't figure out it was the water pump until after he replaced the head gaskets .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Doh! But how does a wp account for water geyser out of the radiator fill and water spewing by the firewall?

Reply to
trader_4

DOH!

Reply to
Hawk

I agree, replacing head gaskets stopped over pressure cooling system. I wonder how badly the heads were warped?

Reply to
albosch

That's your redneck shade tree mechanic son that screwed up your truck??? I'd be buying him a single speed coaster brake bicycle.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

  It's even worse ... it appears the leak is from a hose "cap" that closes off a nipple on the back side of the pump housing . Probably a 2 dollar part .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

  Probably not warped , it hasn't been overheated . He's not much of a mechanic , kinda makes me wish I'd gone down when this whole circus started . Woulda cost me less .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

  The very same . My wife says he's way too much like her daddy . But it's even worse than that , turns out it's a hose "cap" that blocks off a nipple on the back side of the pump housing . If not for the grandkids ... but I just can't punish them because daddy is an idiot . We tried , God knows we tried , but sometimes nothing works .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Learning experience. We've all had them.

Reply to
rbowman

  Yeah , but this boy is 40 years old and has worked as a mechanic at a couple of shops . Bottom line is that it was a 5 dollar part that fixed it - after he spent a couple hundred of my money throwing parts at it . I think he knew better than to ask for my truck again "I hope you like walking!" .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

That's why I do all my own work... I've f***ed up a time or three but at least I knew it and fixed it so it wasn't some time delay surprise.

Reply to
rbowman

  Nobody but me puts a wrench on my stuff - especially the bikes .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm thinking that even though a lot of us can fix stuff ourselves we may not have all the diagnostic equipment to find the problem.

Might have been better to have a big shop to check out first and get an estimate before doing anything else.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Usually water pumps fail by leaking water, not by failing to pump water. Sure, if it's not pumping water or is leaking and looses enough water then it will overheat and then you would have a geyser at the radiator. But there was no mention of overheating in relation to the geyser, just that there was a geyser at the radiator, which made it sound like that was continuing even after water was added and a diagnosis was being made. You'd hope that anyone trying to fix it would have mentioned that there is a geyser when it looses enough coolant and overheats.

And the wps that fail because the impeller disintegrates, don't leak water at the pump. So, from the new description, it sounds like it was a leaking water pump and it overheated and had a geyser at the radiator due to loss of coolant.

Reply to
trader_4

Wow, only $22. You can save a lot of money on a colonoscopy with that.

Reply to
micky

  He couldn't afford to take it to a shop if he wanted to ... and I damn sure ain't payin' for it . We were in frequent contact thru this mess , but had I been there we might have found the problem much sooner

- and cheaper .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It has been a few years but I had a head gasket problem. I cannot remember what the shop charged me if anything but had I accepted their suggestion and estimate the repair plus other work would have been over $2,000. Had I had the work done they certainly would have recouped what it cost to do the estimate.

With me the problem was not immediate and I opted not to do it on a 13 year old car and traded it in.

Tell your son something I heard a while back, "If you cannot afford the cost of repairing your car, you should not own one."

Reply to
invalid unparseable

  Shit , they can't afford housing much less to pay someone to work on their car . If they weren't living in our Memphis house rent free they'd be on the street . As I said , if it weren't for the grand kids they'd find their asses on the street .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Too bad. We lucked out with ours who are all financially secure.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Please, at least don't tell me he has a PhD in English literature and can't find a job.

I feel your pain. Fortunately our was resolved but did have the daughter and 2 kids living with us a while.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski