Somebody please check this dryer vent is ok....

I'm about to move a gas-fired clothers dryer vent through the wall of my basement (it was blocked off due to a deck the previous owner installed). Just want to make sure this is safe:

Down from dryer in flexi metal 4" pipe. Along a series of 2' long galvanized sheet metal ducts held together with screws that stick through to the inside of the pipe (catching lint?), through a 90 and then out through the wall and a plastic louvred vent under a wooden deck. Ducting to be strapped directly touching the floor joists with metal strapping nailed to joists.

Ok?

Thanks for any tips if this is dangerous.

Dean

Reply to
dean

Forgot to add: Will seal any loose vent joints with metal tape.

Reply to
dean

No, not OK, but close.

Dryer vents should not have sheet metal screws for the reason you mention.. Fit the galvanized together and tape them and you should be OK.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, my mate just told me that too. Thanks for the reply.

-D

Reply to
dean

Yep, my mate just told me that too. Thanks for the reply.

-D

Reply to
dean

And use DUCT tape and NOT DUCK tape. You want the aluminum foil tape and not the grey cloth tape.

Reply to
Noozer

"...through a 90 and then out through the wall and a plastic louvred vent under a wooden deck."

HMM If I understand this correctly the vent is below the deck - if so the deck may stay moist on the bottom creating a home for mold and fungus to live.

deck ___________I I wall vent [ I I

Reply to
HarryB

There are around 15,000 residential fires related to dryers each year, and around 400 cases of carbon monoxide induced injury or death related to defective dryer exhausts, so incorrect installations of these needs to be taken seriously.

1) The posters above are correct, no screws.

2) Male end of each section of pipe toward runs FROM dryer INTO next section toward exterior.

3) Check dryer' manufacturer's instructions for maximum run exhaust, which is reduced by each elbow .

4) Dryer exhaust below a deck can shorten life of wood decking, it can also GREATLY accelerate rusting of joist hangers and lag or other bolts connecting the deck to the main structure, leading to structural failure. If you MUST exhaust at this point, use SS hangers and fasteners.

5) Clean the duct, regularly GOGGLE for "dryer exhaust brush"
Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

Ok thank you all for the replies. The installation is finished and it runs well. The deck is very well ventilated on 3 sides, although it does have the hot water heater, vacuum and sump pump all spewing out there too!

Tell me, the vent gets too hot to touch (I can hold onto it for 3 seconds before I have to let go). Is this typical? Its only a few inches down from a wooden floor.

-Dean

Reply to
dean