Soil pipe broken at house

+1

We can't see the ramp, how it's constructed. But maybe as you say, it could be moved, mostly intact? I'm not a fan of the new zig-zag method. Sounds like that could be someone who only wants to do plumbing and ditches, doesn't know what to do with a ramp.

Reply to
trader_4

_IF_ do go with the idea of a parallel run, don't use two 90s to create the offset by restricting path to perpendicular run to get the new section thru the wall -- use two 45s to create the offset.

More hole thru the wall but far less likely to have obstruction issues down the road from the zig-zag otherwise -- and can still snake that if needs be.

Reply to
dpb

They also make 22.5 degree fittings. That makes a straighter line than

2 45s
Reply to
gfretwell

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:36:45 -0500, dpb posted for all of us to digest...

It didn't occur to me at the time he was here - he submitted an estimate - but something was niggling in my mind. I remember what it was, he was going to dig right by the fireplace chimney, which has no foundation. It didn't want it on his head.. He hasn't returned my call yet as to why he had to revise the estimate.

Had a another guy here today. He just wants to do the replacement work - digging by hand - and just remove some of the treads and have his carpenter guy fix the ramp. No machines! Now this is my kind of guy because he said it's only

20" deep and no need for a machine. He asked how they would get it over the handrail without disassembling the ramp. First guy that said he would dig by hand.

One more guy tomorrow from the $$$ megalith plumbing co down the road.

More to follow in the next few days...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:10:54 -0500, dpb posted for all of us to digest...

I got the quote from the guy who wanted to go around the deck. I convinced him to quote it with the line following the existing route. He just added $800 and refreshed the quote.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:51:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 posted for all of us to digest...

That was my impression too. Now all 4 guys will go straight out. 3 guys want to get the digger in and mess with ramp. The last guy says he will just take some treads off and work with a shovel. He comment was: It's only 20" deep and I'm not afraid to get dirty.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 05:57:45 -0500, dpb posted for all of us to digest...

Thanks, I'm not zigging nor zagging.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:28:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Nobody is doing the offsets. The well tank is in the way.

Reply to
Tekkie©

If it's 20" deep and next to the house, seems to me you'd have to be a moron to want to take the whole ramp out, get power eqpt in there. Like what power eqpt? A backhoe? When it's 20" and you don't want to damage the remainder of the pipe, etc? You have to wonder if the need for eqpt isn't driven by making it look like a big deal so they can charge more.

Reply to
trader_4

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 12:54:45 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 posted for all of us to digest...

Yeah, but it's over 3' deep and about 20' to the clean out. If all you have is a hammer; everything looks like a nail.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Depending on what you call dirt there this could be 20 minutes or 2 hours with good labor and that is $25 an hour or so, extended price. (What I would pay the yard man for his guy) You can't put a machine on a trailer for $50. I usually think $250 and up for a half day and that is a baby excavator I can tow home. (a couple years ago)

Reply to
gfretwell

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 18:02:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

That brings me to my next query. Should I replace the pipe in it's entirety or just 6' out or so? That will determine the amount of equipment needed. Three guys want to do all and the other guy asks "why". I know it is best practice to do all but I really see no benefit (to me). I will accept Ferncos.

Reply to
Tekkie©

I presume they want to go to the cleanout so they can separate the pipe there? If you need a backhoe anyway, that could make sense. If not, getting one in there would seem to inflate the bill a lot compared to just digging by hand in the spot where it's broken, cutting the pipe there and using a Fernco.

Reply to
trader_4

Depends on the cost. An extra hundred or two now can save potential problems later. If an extra 2 thousand, I'd wait and use the Fernco. Unless they see more damage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:23:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

All estimates aren't in but the two that are is about $2000 between the first received and the low guy that just wants to do the 6'. Both have seen the video and inspected the site.

Reply to
Tekkie©