Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

I have fond memories of the Maritime. I was cruising along 80-85, I wasn't paying attention, on the QEW IIRC when an RCMP car passed me and the radio cop just waved.

In PA school zones are 15 mph and you better be doing it. Who knows when the cupcakes coming out of the high school need a break in traffic to make their BMW's nimble. I was told that limit was set so the buses could get out. If one pulls out then the rest of the que is too...

You don't really need speed limits because potholes are regulating...

Reply to
Tekkie®

SAE or metric cops?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is not a story as I know the fellow and saw the ticket. A boy had just got his license a month or so before and did get stopped doing 85 on interstate highway 85 . The speed limit was 65 at that time. He thought that 85 sign was the speed limit. Not sure if the cop said anything about good thing he was not on a higher numbered highway or not.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I recall driving my future wife and in-laws to a wedding many years ago. Wedding was scheduled for 1:00PM and we had left with *ample* time to get there. Of course, as I wasn't driving MY vehicle and didn't want to risk making a bad impression on the future in-laws, I was driving VERY "deliberately".

As we pulled into town, I glanced up at sign above bank and saw that it said "105" -- Crap! How the hell can we be THAT late?? Then, a few seconds later, said "12:32" -- Well, make up your mind! Is it 5 after 1 or half past 12??

Never occurred to me that a *temperature* would be that high! :<

Reply to
Don Y

Did the kids parents actually fall for that c*ck and bull story?

Reply to
Jack Goff

I thought the electronics on my car went haywire one August day when I pulled into a rest stop. It was 1:01 in the afternoon., temperature was

101, radio station was 101.1FM That was back in 2001.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's one of the first conversions I learned right after 35 ounces in a kilo. The cops in Alberta get really pissy if you don't convert those

100 kph signs.
Reply to
rbowman

Montana didn't have a daytime speed limit but the Feds browbeat them into one. For a while I90 was 75, 65 within cities, but they just took it back up to 80. When what passes for cities are about 100 miles apart it helps.

I'll have to admit the speed limit didn't break my heart. Riding a bike and keeping up with the traffic flow when the SUVs and F-250s are running 95 to 100 on two lane can make you nervous. If they screw up, you're the one that's going to die.

Sometimes 45 can be too much. Coming home tonight the first obstacle was a deer leisurely strolling across the road. Half a mile down the road I'm crossing a two lane bridge and a large, white, suicidal dog was running at me head on. At least the turkeys weren't lurking around the blind 20 mph corner.

Reply to
rbowman

Back in the day I remember cruising down the Mac & Jac Speedway at an honest 100.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm more at ease with metric than I will admit but centigrade still throws me, particularly when they're bitching about being cold a 5 degrees and I realize they're talking about shirt sleeve weather.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, I have a friend in Bulgaria where it is apparently perpetually cold (plus, I don't think they heat their buildings like we do!) It's always tedious trying to relate to *his* cold weather (-10C? Pfft! Try -26 in Chicago with a -83 windchill!) and *my* hot weather (45C just doesn't sound very hot! OTOH, 113F...)

Reply to
Don Y

LOL You weren't nervous were you?

Reply to
Muggles

Actually, I was concerned that I was wearing a three piece suit and *not* sweating like a pig! At a temperature that I would otherwise have imagined would leave me in a pool of water!

Reply to
Don Y

And you needed a 10.1 MM socket to change a tire?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember a conversation between my sister, a damn Yankee, and a friend who is Canadian.

Sister: So, how fast did you drive, coming down here? Canadian: Oh, we did about a hundred. Sister: Wow, that's fast. We only go about sixty five.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

on 10/22/2015, Stormin Mormon supposed :

Save some money and buy a monkey wrench.

Reply to
Eagle

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:Jt9Wx.120338$iQ4.46237 @fx16.iad:

Yes, obviously.

There are a few exceptions: 8mm and 5/16" are so close as to make no practical difference, likewise 16mm and 5/8", 4mm and 5/32", etc.

That depends on whether your vehicles use both types of fasteners. Obviously there is no need for SAE wrenches on a vehicle with all-metric fasteners, or vice versa.

The last vehicle I had that used a mixture of SAE and metric fasteners was built in the mid or late 1980s. My wife's 1998 Mustang is 100% metric.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Would I shop at Mongomery Wards?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Need a 10mm to put you out of your misery...

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know...is there a monkey wards open somewhere?

Reply to
Eagle