Faucet key 3/8 inch

In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole in the end. Here is one such:

another such.
These silly things are $15 or more. Any where they can be found, less expensive? Or, some other way to turn the faucet on and off? I know HF has a wrench socket set that has 8 point sockets. This won't work, as it's going to an agency which has a wide variety of people, and many are not mechanically minded.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3/8's drive extension with a handle welded on it.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Replace the outdoor tamper proof faucet with one which has a normal valve handle...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

$15 for a specialty product? Seems reasonable to me.

Here's the same item for 10.77:

Didn't look at the cost of shipping.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That did occur to me. Last time, I used a 3/8 extension, and a crescent wrench. worked fine. I'll have to find someone with welding skills.

.

3/8's drive extension with a handle welded on it.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, that's some better. Today I found two more of the Zurn key in question. In the cabinet, with the other plumbing parts. So, we're good for a while.

I'll book mark that, or send it to myself on email.

.

$15 for a specialty product? Seems reasonable to me.

Here's the same item for 10.77:

Didn't look at the cost of shipping.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^

Not pot-metal like most of them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And, none of the openings is 3/8, they are all too small.

"a 1/4 in., 9/32 in., 5/16 in. and 11/32 in. stem"

You see, 3/8 is also can be called 12/32, which is larger than what this one offers.

.

Since I clean condensing units for commercial customers from time to time, I have a darn newfangled four post long reach key that resembles a tiny four way lug wrench. ^_^

Not pot-metal like most of them.

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ke5$sie$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

And you know, if you replaced the outdoor tamper proof faucet with one using a normal handle no one at this "agency" packed with non-mechanically inclined individuals would EVER have to worry about this problem EVER again :-O

Reply to
Evan

Last time I encounered this was when my local public library lost it's hose key. Solution was to take an ordinary cast iron valve handle and silver solder a 3/8 drive socket to it with the 3/8 hole facing out. They still think I'm a wizard.

Reply to
beecrofter

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save them $5?

Reply to
Jack Hammer

You know, I (and the place I'm volunteering) do have a big load of 3/8 drive sockets around. I could grind down the tip of the old faucet key, and glue it in. I'm not able to weld. Not sure I can silver solder to zinc diecast. Probably can't weld, either.

Excellent idea, and thank you.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, it's a charity. And, I'm volunteering. It's my slow season, I have some time. Good point.

.

Are you going to bill your client for the time you spend trying to save them $5?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tell them to have a bake sale and buy a new wrench with the proceeds.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

Sorry. Just don't tell Mom, like you did the last time?

.

If the 3/8 drive fits, just turn it with a 48" pipe wrench, sheesh. Or pliers from you tool box. Do I have to think of everything? :-\

Reply to
Stormin Mormon