Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

That would be you SAE sets. The British Whitworth fasteners are another perversion.

Reply to
rbowman

I doubt Stormin can get a passport...

Reply to
rbowman

Nope, they are ,mostly "action adventure" movies that nobody really cares about, mixed with everything from Disney to chick flicks.

Reply to
gfretwell

Watch it, you will have people talking about BA soon. I know a 2 BA is ~5/16 but that is about it.

Reply to
gfretwell

It won't. Just type "convert 10mm to inches" into Google.

Reply to
clare

At $159 it's as close to HF pricing as you can get for a top-line set of tools. It IS a $600 set.

Reply to
clare

Your 1/4 inch drive set is not the right set for your use. You most certainly should have bought a 3/8" set.

Reply to
clare

Shirtcuff estimate: 2.5mm = .1 inches So, 10mm ~= .4 inches (it's actually .3937)

3/8" = .375 1/2" = .500 so 7/16 is the only "standard" SAE size that would be possible choice. But, it's .4375 (split the difference between 3/8 and 1/2) so no fit.

You also have to consider how you're converting. I.e., you can (sloppily) service a 3/8" bolt with a 10mm socket but can't service a 10mm bolt with a 3/8" socket.

Reply to
Don Y

14mm and 9/16 are real close. 17 mm and 11/16 (17.46mm) 11mm and 7/16 are real close. (11.11mm) 19mm is very close to 3/4 inches (0.748 inches) 13/16 is very close to 21mm (20.63mm) - so an 11/16 will fit a 17mm, but 17mm will be tight on an 11/16. A 7/16 will work on an 11mm, but an 11mm will be tight on a 7/16" A 19mm works fine on a 3/4" - and a 3/4 is just a tad snug on a 19mm.
Reply to
clare

I've got a few cheap socket sets floating around - or remnants of them. The sockets were crappy, and the ratchets were "knuckle busters" and I even twisted off a few extensions. Some were from India, some from China - and none cost over $15 new in a tin box.

Reply to
clare

Yes - those were used on some '80s GMs - they had a blue "oxide" finish on them to identify themselves as "bastards"

Reply to
clare

I've got a set of "grip-tite sockets, but I won't use them on a bolt-head or nut that is still recognizeable. They are "last resort" sockets for bolts or nuts that have been chewed by some idiot with a vice-grips.

Reply to
clare

As was the BSF. Different wrench for fine thread than for coarse.

Reply to
clare

There is that too- - - -

Reply to
clare

I agree the quality is not there. They are good for people that seldom use tools, such as to put together some home items . Good to carry a set in the car just incase you need to do a simple repair.

Run across a hard to turn nut and some part of the set may give.

I just bought a HF chain saw sharpner for $ 30, a one similar to it sells at Northern Tool for aound $ 100 more. I may sharpen a chain twice a year and the sharpener works fine for that. If I was doing several a week, then probably beter to get the NT one. . Got the multimeter free with it. Checked it with my Fluke meter and it is with in tollorance. Good enough for the home owner and someone that may do some trouble shooting on equipment. Just don't think I would want to put it across some of the equipment where I worked that had 480 volt 3 phase and fused at 500 amps.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

IBM spec'ed all metric stuff (screws, bolts and some tools particularly allens) in that blue color. I still have a bunch in my "metric" screw stash. It avoided a lot of confusion. You could figure out what was US made and what was imported from vendors pretty easily.

Reply to
gfretwell

Show me someone who thinks "english" is better than "metric" and I'll show you an uneducated imbecile.

Reply to
Jack Goff

Get me the twelve, which is on the shelve?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you. I should print that out, and put in each tool box.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What! Just because I've been clubbing baby seals, lighting kittens on fire, molesting small boys, voting tea party Republican, sniffing glue, buying tools at Harbor Freight, inhaling helium, setting mouse traps on my counter tops to keep the cat off, forging documents that say I'm a FBI agent, smuggling arms to Ambassador Chris Stevens, mainlining Heroin, transmitting on ham bands out of license, robbing banks at gunpoint, writing love letters to Pope Francis, and driving

37 MPH in a 30 MPH zone, that's no reason why I should be denied a passport!
Reply to
Stormin Mormon