Clarke Multi-Fit socket sets

I know this group's history with dealings with Machine Mart, but I was curious to know if these are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist:

"This socket set drives a wide variety of fixings including hex (6 point), double hexagon (12 point), spline, square and Torx."

I haven't seen them "in the metal" but surely there will only be a rough circle left once all those shapes have been accommodated, limiting the amount of torque before rounding occurs?

Reply to
Part Timer

I guess they're based on the same principle as those sockets that grip the flats so they don't round the corners, which leaves more room for cutouts to take different fittings. IME 12-point sockets have always worked moderately well with square bolt heads, they've just extended the idea a bit.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Can't see how they would drive a torx fitting since those will usually be female...

Reply to
John Rumm

There are 'external' versions of torx, known as e.g. E10 rather than T10

Reply to
Andy Burns

ok fairy snuff, can't recall ever seeing one in the wild though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Oil pump bolts on the venerable Rover V8 - early versions. And oddly, a bi-hex AF ring is a perfect fit. Lucky, since most of that engine uses unified threads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)