Simple Kitchen Remodel question....

Tile last, just make sure you have the room from tile to base cabinet counter top to fit your dishwasher in. I can't tell you how many times the tile guys tile into the dishwasher opening and guess what dishwasher would not fit. If questionable have them leave the front tiles out or you will never get it in. If you install the dishwasher before tiling, if it ever goes bad you may have to remove the front tiles to get it out.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

I've seen hundreds. bfd.

If you'd read the entire thread you would have seen that I recommended the space under the d/w be tiled first. Tile last.

Oh, and save your breath Miller. I've already seen you in action around here and right or *wrong* you tend to argue the point infinitesimally for arguments sake. I mostly don't respect your advice, and won't waste my time with you.

-end of subject-

Reply to
G Henslee

Broken record.

-end of subject-

Reply to
G Henslee

To the contrary, it appears that you haven't ever seen a dishwasher that was installed *before* the tile went down... and now needs to be replaced.

Tile first.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Picture this: you've installed the cabinets, and an under-counter dishwasher, before tiling. It's three years later. Your dishwasher needs service or replacement. But there's a half-inch-thick lip of ceramic tile that it won't come over.

Which way do you think is better?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Tile last, BUT tile under the DW. Or at least some leveling material such as cement board.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Doesn't that screw up the height of the dw compared to the cabinets? Don't you have to also raise the surrounding cabinets the same amount with plywood?

Reply to
FDR

"Doug Miller" wrote

That's the exact reason for adjustable legs on dishwashers.

For general updating a room, flooring is the first to go besides painting. Could you imagine someone attempting to change a tile floor with cabinets sitting on them?

BTW, all new construction in this area, flooring is the last material installed, besides a shoe mold.

Reply to
lenny

Reply to
Dean Swinger

Henslee's right.

One word of caution: make sure the DW fits after the tile's applied. Most DWs are designed to be installed over (normal) ceramic tile, but I've encountered extra-thick tile that will cause a problem. In this case, a new DW should be purchased, installed and tested, and tested, and tested....then the Piazza flooring be installed.

Also, Bosch DWs may be too tall to be installed over the tile. Highly-rated Kenmore DWs are 1/2" short so will fit over most tile.

Also, I've had to replace a tile floor where the tile was installed under the cabinets. It can be done, but it's truly painful to score and break the tile at the edge of the cab. Remember, there's a recess for the toe-kick. It can be done, but it added to my estimate, and to the customer's cost.

Rock

Reply to
Rock