Anyone ever seen a patio deck combination?

I can find very sparse information on patio deck combinations. I'd like to see pictures that don't have a pool. I have a patio and thought about building a deck next to it with steps from the patio to deck. Is this something people do or have I come up with some crazy design? thanks.

Reply to
needin4mation

I don't have any pictures. I have seen the combo on several homes I have worked in over the years. In most cases the exit from the home was to the deck and then down to a patio.

What are your reservations or questions?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If the floor level at the house is a couple of feet above grade, it's a lot easier to take one step onto the deck than having a few steps. It's also a nicer transition from inside to outside. Some people may do it just to break things up.

As far as the rodents under the deck - get a terrier! ;)

RicodJour

What is the purpose of the deck? Why not extend the patio?

I don't understand why people build decks on ground level if they can have a patio that does not require the maintenance that a deck entails, does not make for places where rodents can hide, etc. If you have a steep drop off, that would make some sense. If it is just to have a deck, it is silly, IMO.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I didn't want to build something crazy. That's all.

Reply to
needin4mation

Some folks prefer a wood deck surface over concrete, tile, stone or other masonry-type product. Why give them grief about it? That and, in many cases, it's a helluva lot easier to install a deck than the effort to install a concrete pad. Especially in areas with freezing temps.

Reply to
wkearney99

Build what you want. I have a flagstone pool deck and patio but I still have a raised deck under the covered areas. Both have a place.

Reply to
gfretwell

As can an improperly installed slab. The easy solution is proper installation. Get the posts down below the frost line, etc.

However, FWIW, I also think a slab makes a lot more sense as it's a lot easier to maintain. But wouldn't the world be boring if everybody built the same thing? : )

Reply to
DonC

Grief? It is my opinion. (note the IMO above) Take it or leave it, agree or not, I really don't care. Sometimes people don't think of alternatives so I mention them. Decks have become "stylish" and are often installed in stupid places. The OP asked for an opinion, so I gave one. I don't have to look at it, install it, or maintain it, so I don't care what he does in the end.

As for the freezing areas, an improperly installed deck can get pretty out of whack from frost heaves.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski