Shut-off Valve for Tub Faucet

Asking this question for a friend with a leaky tub faucet (spout and valve mounted separately.) The tub is on the first floor. I asked him to look for a shut-off in the basement, but he cant find one. He really doesn't want to shut off the whole-house supply. Is there a possibility that there is no shut-off valve(s) for the tub alone? Where would the valve (if it exists) likely to be? Thanks for your help! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

It is possible none exists. Often though, they are behind a panel in the room opposite the tub.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is the big deal about shutting off the entire thing? Tom

Reply to
tom

sometimes the main shutoff can break like mine did after 25 years. in the off position of course. start these projects in the morning when the hardware store is open late. my plumber came in and cut the old one out of the 3/4" copper water line, replacing it with a nice lever handled ball valve compression style installation. no "sweat". but he was wet even with a plastic tarp. otherwise the underground main shutoff is a must-dig-up when it breaks.

Reply to
buffalobill