shower mystery: suddenly cold water

During daylight savings time I have no shortage of hot water to my back shower. Once daylight savings time ends (and the weather gets colder), there is a sudden shortage of hot water and I must cut my showers short or freeze.

I have a single knob to vary how much hot water/cold water I get, and I have noticed once there is no more hot water, I can 'overtwist' the knob slightly and there seems to be more available hot water for a short time.

My hot water heater is insulated, as are all pipes leaving the hotwater heater so heat losses I am not considering. Is is possible at the end of daylight savings time the local water company uses a different water source which is much colder (~10F) than the original source during the other parts of the year? Is there some component which is possibly faulty? Is it possible a timer exists within my system of which I am not aware which could be affected by the time change?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Reply to
Owen Wilson

Do you have a energy saving time of day control for that water heater?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

thats my guess.. i bet if you waited an hour you would have plenty of hot water. having a colder source would make no difference otherwise. it would simply be heated 10 more degrees.

randy

Reply to
xrongor