Seniors must pay cash

I was in the store today and waited in the checkout line. Normally, no big deal. The woman two ahead of me was paying with a credit card.
She swiped the car on one side. Then the other. Then the first side, then the other. Not working, she takes out another car. Swipes one side, then the other. The cashier shows her the chip. Three times she tried too insert it but could not figure out how. Finally, the next woman in line showed her how and where. It finally worked. The woman mentioned she just turned 80.
Now I'm into the seventies myself, but I think at some point seniors should have to take a credit card competency test, or just pay cash.

Makes more sense to use a contactless card and just wave it at the terminal.
On 4/8/19 8:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Really, doesn't everyone have to learn new things for the first time ?
On 4/8/2019 10:37 PM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

Sure, but I doubt this was her first time. Some people just don't handle simple processes very well. She was probably the worst, but I've seen others stumbling with the cards.

Yeah, saw one a couple of days ago with a contactless card, waged it at the terminal too briefly and didn’t realise that you need to do it more slowly and wait for the terminal to beep indicating that it has seen it, The checkout monkey had to tell him to do it more slowly.
On 4/8/19 8:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe her pill-pusher doctor has her on a statin?
https://spacedoc.com/articles/my-statin-story
On 4/9/2019 6:05 AM, R. F. Microonda wrote:

There are senior moments and also it is rare that someone over 80 is not on at least on one med. My brother in law was having fainting spells from the same bp med that does not bother me. I had one that caused a persistent cough that most do not have.
On 04/09/2019 06:44 AM, Frank wrote:

Lisinopril? It's supposedly the second most prescribed med in the US but that's one of the reported side effects.
says...

When I was 67 the doctor put me on Lisinopril for blood pressure. The only drug I take. It gave me a cough, so after a year I switched to Losartan. That cleared up the cough.
He keeps on wanting to put me on the coloestral medicine. I keep refusing saying that is a bunch of stuff I do not believe in. My test results are only slightly high in that anyway.
On 4/9/2019 10:35 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Tried and and it is nasty stuff. Just a few days gave me back pain and it took a long time to clear up. I won't touch it.
On 4/9/2019 11:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Never had a problem with Lipitor except paying for it before it became generic. Wish I had been on it sooner as 10 years ago I needed cardiac stents for unstable angina. My numbers are good today but cardiologist said if I had the problem today that the recommended dosage would be twice as high.
On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 12:10:16 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

test

the doctor told the curvy blond she had acute angina,
she slapped him and walked out.
On 4/9/2019 10:05 AM, rbowman wrote:

Yes it was Lisinopril. It was quite a mess to put up with. All the doctors knew of this side effect but family doctor ordered an xray which showed a spot leading to full pulmonary testing including a couple of ct scans. There was no problem found but it was a PITA.
On 04/09/2019 10:02 AM, Frank wrote:

Guess I'm lucky. I haven't experienced any side effects and the stuff is cheap.
On 4/9/2019 9:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

Cheap for me too but I guy I knew said they were expensive for him. I gave him about a 9 month supply I had left over. Some drug plans are not that great as the copay may cost more than what you can buy them for at Walmart. I had one with a $75 copay where I got it for $10 at Walmart without a plan.
On 4/15/2019 9:15 AM, Frank wrote:

Never ran into that, but I don't understand how some of it works.
One of my wife's drugs is $14 retail and has a $10 copay, Another costs $160 and has a $3 copay. They are in different tiers.
On 4/15/2019 9:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It was nearly 10 years ago when I had a different drug plan. There was a $300 deductible and they were charging me $75 for warfarin which was the only medicine I was taking. I switched to Walmart and got it for $10.
Current drug plan had a $17 deductible for lisinopril which was $10 at Walmart. Taking it and warfarin then I saved $56/year. I accumulated months supply of both which I no longer take. I've given away other left over meds to people that take them.
Now the drug plan has no deductible but there are still tiers.
On 4/8/2019 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good on her! :)
I'm also of the age and opinion that _THEY_ are the clerks, _I'M_ the customer; that's "NOT MY JOB!" to have to do...

On 4/8/19 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Haven't you ever been in line behind a little old lady digging in the bottom of her purse for the last penny to pay? She won't just hand over another $ so the clerk can give her more change.
On 4/14/19 8:14 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That and the housewife with the full shopping cart holding $150 worth of groceries who doesn't even begin to start digging through her suitcase-size purse to find her wallet, then riffle through it looking for her credit card- until after all items have been scanned and bagged.
It was worse back when people paid with paper checks because they would first have to find the checkbook, before beginning to fill out all the required info from scratch, not to mention then diving back into the purse searching for her driver's license.
Same thing at my medical center. You need your credit card and a picture ID to check in. Despite big signs to have both in-hand before reaching the counter, many nitwits don't- thus lengthening the check-in process for everyone else in line.
--
If you don’t want minimum wage, don’t have minimum skills