Sellin' On Craigslist...

I had a couple of new-with-tags Levis that I had bought back when I was a lot heavier and which no longer fit. I hadn't saved the cash sale receipt so the store wouldn't take them back. I figured I'd list them on Craigslist-- and I did...for a 25 cents on the dollar price. Brand new Levis.

Second day listed, a guy responds, says he's interested and we meet just outside the front door of a big neighborhood supermarket. He asks me if I'd take what was about 10 cents on the dollar. I asled: Are you offering that...or just conducting a marketing survey?

No no he says, I'll give you that...if I can take them into the store's men's room first to try them on.

I said this ain't Macy's, Jack-- no fitting rooms here..,and the price is the one in the ad. Here they are, take 'em or leave 'em.

He took them!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Depending on his attitude - if he seems like a real jerk - I would have been tempted to just walk away and donate the pants to the charity thrift shop. < not V V as it's a for-profit business >

I had a seller welsh on a deal for a truck cap - after I went home to get some clamps to mount it he wanted another 25 or 50 bucks more than we had agreed on - I just put my wallet away and threw the clamps into my truck and told him he just unsold the truck cap - - and disgraced himself - all for the price of a case of beer. After a few minutes to simmer down - I thought I did good - just by not dealing with that arse-whole. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I sort of did the opposit 2 times I sold a stove and table. They were younger couples and when they came over and asked the price to make sure I told them less than I advertised for. I just wanted the things gone . Only reason to sell them was the wife had already bought new things and they were in the way.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Since most people expect a little dickering, and leave room as you did, I have a standard practice. It works ~90% of the time and when it doesn’t, it results is some discount anyway.

Let’s say an item is listed for $200. I’ll say “I’ll offer you $150 and we can settle on $175. How’s that sound?” If the seller comes back a little higher, I’ll decide whether I really want the item or not. Most times, I’ve already done the dickering for them and they just say “OK.”

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

For things bought on CL or other internet places I dicker before I go to pick up the item. If it is in worse shape than described I may offer less or just pass up the deal.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I only talk price with a buyer face-to-face.

If they bring it up in the initial online contacts, I say I listed it for the price I think it's worth. If you want to take a look at it and don't think that's the right price and make a reasonable counter offer, I'll give it very serious consideration.

And I do. If the offer is reasonable, I take it-- especially if the item has been listed a while with little response.

The other thing I don't do is share my phone number-- either by text or call. There are too many phone number collector/sellers out there.

I exchanged texts with a "buyer" one time and within a few days, starting getting text- and marketing-call bombed so bad that I had to change my cell phone number.

Serious buyers understand this and it usually doesn't deter them. Scammers break off contact when you tell them no phone contact.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Interesting ... I am exactly opposite. When a person shows legitimate interest in what I'm selling - I'll provide my phone number and ask them to phone me rather than emails. About 4 of 5 will not make the call but continue with the emails - I've put this down to them wishing to protect their phone number or not English speaking. As for phone number collector/sellers < huh ? > -

- what prevents them from going online and doing a quick google search - and finding lists of many hundreds of phone numbers ? ... much easier than going through Craigs List people one-by-one ..

That's just 2 quick examples ... many dozens of phone numbers - from a 20 second google search . The area code + next 3 digits will narrow the numbers down to a fairly small geographic district. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I found this thread interesting. It reinforced my thought that it is not worth the hassle to sell on Craig's list or similar. I'd rather donate or just give away things I don't need.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have given away several things on CL. Much of that would have gone in the trash. Probably could have sold some of it, but not worth the hassel for less than $ 20.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've had way more good results than bad - - both with selling and buying. eg: years ago my daughter totalled my car - I had 4 almost new snows on rims - not something I could donate - - they sold firm for cash in less than 2 hours to the first person who replied. Another resource is FaceBook _local_ Buy & Sell groups < not FB Marketplace > where you will find a local buyer / seller rather than some idiot from a big city

2 hours away who doesn't drive and wants you to deliver .. John T.
Reply to
hubops

There is no hassle involved when using the local facebook buy swap sell group to sell stuff.

Irrelevant.

Reply to
567gh

I don't do Facebook. I see no value to it.

Yet you had to comment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

More fool you, that is the value in it.

On the previous stupidity of yours.

Reply to
567gh

The value is fools use it. I don't but Zuckerberg loves you.

Again you proved yours.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Exactly. I make my offer through the CL email relay so that my PI isn't shared with the seller. If we agree on the price, then things get personal.

Once I get an address or location, I Google it and decide if that's where I want to venture. If not, I choose a location I'm comfortable with. If they won't do that, I walk away without ever walking over.

I also have a junk email address and Google phone number for such transactions.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Get a free Google number. Call and text without sharing your real number with the other people. Set up a throwaway/junk only email address.

I get zero spam to my main email address because it never gets used for other than friends and family.

My other 5 (6?) email addresses get spammed at varying amounts, depending on what I use them for.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

(S)he's a troll.

Reply to
Mike

Yes, pops up with a new name every couple of months after he is in everyone's KF..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski