Seeking higher security Sliding Doors

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house. I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar. Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher security ? Thanks

Reply to
strangways

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Mine can't. After the sliding part is put on the track, you lower the wheels by inserting a screwdriver in a hole at the end of the door. That stops the bottom of the door being able to be moved out of the track until the wheels are raised again. The burglar can't get to those holes. The one closes to the lock can only be used once the door is unlocked and the other one can only be accessed from inside the house with the door locked.

The fixed pane has a L bracket that is screwed into the track and the door panel.

You can get pins that go thru the tracks and the bottom metal frame of the door from the inside which prevent the door from being lifted while the pins are in place. Not so convenient to use tho because they need to be removed before the door can be opened.

And whatever you do securing the panes, the thief can just smash the glass. But you can get smashed glass sensors for alarm panels.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Look for a "filler strip" in the top track - makes it IMPOSSIBLE to lift the door in the closed position.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My Andersen 400s have a cleat inside that needs to be removed to tilt the door and get it off the track. The top rail barely clears the door. There is an after market fix tho. You cut a strip of wood or trex that fills the gap between the door and the top of the top rail. You have to open the door to remove the strip and the door will not lift off the track with it in place.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good luck breaking mine. They are hurricane glass. They shoot 8' 2x4s at them at about 90-100 mph to test them. The doors weigh 285# each so even if they could, it is going to take a big guy to lift them out.

Reply to
gfretwell

And mine has a bloody great 1/2" dam post that the lock grabs which goes into the sliding pane frame when you close and lock the door so it isnt possible to raise that side of the door when its locked.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When mine were first released in the very early 70s, with heat treated glass, the manufacturer had a video showing someone trying to break it with a sledge hammer, repeatedly, and failing.

The will break with a sharp stone tho and shatter into countless small pieces.

Or a decent leaver. Easy enough to organise.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not very easily when they're shut and latched, although they can be unlatched from the outside by removing the plug that is where the lock would go for those who have an outside lock for the SGD. Or by drilling out the lock if it has a lock. Most average burglars don't seem to do either of these, but who knows if yours will be average.

So at least as important as keeping the door from being lifted up is keeping it from being opened, once it's unlatched. To do that put a board or a piece of metal conduit in the track where the door would go if opened. You can have two lengths, one full length for when you're away and one ~6" shorter than that, so you can have the door open for a breeze when you're home but the space is too small for anyone to get in.

I just use the 6" shorter one all the time. Breakins are very uncommon around here. (I subscribe to a crime reporter so I know.)

Putting something on the floor in the channel is, it seems, better than those square cross section rods that come attached and hinged half-way up the door. I've heard one can slip a tool in and lift them up. Harder to do with one on the floor because the burglar can't see it.

He can still get in but if you make it difficult, he'll go to the next house.

Your current one is fine.

You probably had to unscrew and take a metal piece off the end to get access to the area. Easy to sscrew it back on later.

A broom stick is about the right size, but look to see how much higher the top of the broom stick is than the top of the door was. (or how far it is from the top of the broom stick to the top of the channel) You don't have to cram it in, but it needs to be tall enough that one can no longer lift the door enough to take the door out.

Once it's in, you don't have to worry about it until, possibly, the wheels wear out and you have to take the door out. They're very heavy. Post back if you ever want to do that.

Easier than lowering the wheels (that is, raising the door by the lowering the wheels.)

Reply to
micky

Do they test them with an automatic center punch?

Reply to
rbowman

You might break the outer layer of glass but the membranes inside would hold the glass together and you are probably not breaking the other layers.

Reply to
gfretwell

A traditional wooden broom stick, not a metal broom stick.

is about the right size, but look to see how much higher

Reply to
micky

A simple 1" X 1" stick of wood or a broom handle that will fit in the track where the door slides. Cut to 1/4" less so you can insert it or remove it easily.

For extra security at night, leave an *inside* light on at night near that door. No burglar wants to stand on your porch trying to break in when they are highlighted like that. I leave my kitchen light (just one bulb) on all night every night just for that reason plus it provides faint night light for the rest of the place. The minimal electricity used is very insignificant.

Reply to
Gary

hi, for those of you who said you have shatter/storm/burglar resistant sliding doors, who makes them and what model? I do actually use a metal security rod that fastens in place (version of the broom handle) ... but I dont know if that completely addresses the issue of thieves lifting the door out of the track

Thanks

Reply to
strangways

You might be able to keep kids out but ain't no match for Mr. Stihl.

Gunnar Hansen

Use one of these >>>

Use a wooden/metal bar, as many have suggested.

Apply shatterproof film if glass is not already shatterproof.

Attach/install an alarm system.

Install video camera.

The more you make it difficult for a thief, the faster he'll move on to the next victim. They want easy and will not waste time on a home that isn't.

Reply to
Hawk

My hurricane rated slider is made by WinDoor but PGT makes them too. I assume these days most major manufacturers will but be aware the 6 panel corner slider I have lists for over $20,000 (2009 price). Even getting it at "cost" it was $8k plus installation.

Reply to
gfretwell

Make that much noise and you will be talking to Mr Winchester. It will be a one way conversation.

Reply to
gfretwell

Liberal sissies don't know Mr. Winchester.  Put on a hard hat, face shield and a safety orange vest and no one would think twice.

Reply to
devnull

get out your pinchbar and give it a try. If you can lift it a thief can. If you can't there's a pretty good chance a thief can't either.

Reply to
Clare Snyder