secure fence post to hardie siding to eleminate future sag

Hello, can anyone give me tips on this. I recently had a gate installed next to my house, the 4x4 post is buried 3ft in the ground next to the exterior of the house, I wonder about the gate sagging over time. So I wanted to fasten the top of the post to my house to eliminate this (ground is too much sloped for a wheel). Any tips on what to use to go into the hardie? I don't think there is a stud in that area. If there is a stud then I would assume just go right into the stud with a lag bolt or whatever. Any tips are appreciated, thnx guys

Reply to
johann

This will involve a little digging and won't help if the post sags. Bury a 4x4 or whatever from the gate supporting post to the first one in your fence. This would give the gate holder a brace.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

replying to johann, Iggy wrote: It's a tricky proposition. That 4x4 could very well be wet (how many places get and keep them) and could warp severely once dry. If it warps, it could take the siding and sheathing with it. Give it a year after installation to be sure it's not going anywhere.

Then, yes a lag bolt or 2 into structural framing would be best. Although, you can open the wall inside the house and put heavy blocking in between the elusive studs. However, you'd also be fine with just anchoring the post's top. In that case, big and fat Butterfly/Molly/Mushroom Head/Toggle Bolts would fit the bill and clamp inside the sheathing to be quite solid.

Reply to
Iggy