What are non-magnetic screws made of?

Some of the screws I use are not attracted to magnets. What are they made of?

The last bunch were heavy duty sheet metal screws, that came with a license plate frame, and I kept dropping them behind the grill, and the way the plastic bumper is made, they don't fall out. And my magnet on a stick didn't work!

Reply to
micky

High quality stainless steel is not very magnetic. Try a refrigerator magnet on a piece of your kitchen flatware, you will see it doesn't stick or holds very poorly.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

On Tue 12 Sep 2017 06:25:26a, micky told us...

We just installed a new license plate and frame to our new car. The screws were not magnetic.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Kryptonite

Reply to
trader_4

I suppose the screws could be aluminum, did they feel light in weight?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

On Tue 12 Sep 2017 11:27:45a, Stormin' Norman told us...

The package indicated stainless steel, as was the frame.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

That was my original speculation...... you messin' with me Wayne?

Just kidding. Sounds like a nice frame. I picked up a solid brass frame for my latest (probably last) new car. It looks pretty snazzy.

My latest saddle for the draft horses uses all stainless hardware, which makes care and maintenance much easier. With perspiration from me and the horses, cleaning the brass was a pain in the ass.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Stainless probably. You should use nylon screws and nuts for license plates. I used one set for the lifetimes of 2 cars - about 15 years.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Most likely stainless steel, but also possibly plated brass ot aluminum.

Reply to
clare

On Tue 12 Sep 2017 12:10:06p, Stormin' Norman told us...

I think I missed our original speculation. :-)

I'm sure the brass frame looks terrific, and pretty much corrosion proof! The SS frame and screws I bought is for our latest (probably last) new car. :-)

I love brass and we have a lot of brass items throughout the house. However, I hate polishing it. A few years ago I took every piece to a plater and had it all stripped of oxidation, polished, then coated with a baked on lacquer finish. I did the same with some antique silver items. Now just a dusting keeps it looking great. Of course, none of it can be handled frequently because even the lacquer can eventually break down from moisure nad oils on the skin

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

micky posted for all of us...

Most likely non-magnetic stainless steel. DAGS on that if you need more info.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Don't know and he ain't saying. They could be aluminum for all we know.

Reply to
Tekkie®