A $150 Billion Misfire: How Forecasters Got Irma Damage So Wrong

A $150 Billion Misfire: How Forecasters Got Irma Damage So Wrong

BurfordTJustice

It was pretty damned exciting when the cat 3 eye wall came right over my house but the exceptional Florida building code and some preparation prevented any serious damage to the structures on my property.

Reply to
gfretwell

Florida learned it's lesson. In PA it's like when it snows-it never snowed before, when it rains heavy-it never rained before, put up a development & never pay attention to storm water management or traffic or ...

Most of all I am glad you are okay & my BIL is okay. I cannot fathom how the people with ruined property and lives can cope. Now Maria is coming but I understand it will track east of the state.

Reply to
Tekkie®

It is a lesson they have to learn every 10 years or so because by then half of the people are here from somewhere else and never saw a real hurricane.

Things are really pretty much back to normal for me but I am still cleaning up tree debris (in a "limbs the size of your leg" sort of debris).

Reply to
gfretwell

I was in AZ, 1996 I believe, when they learned the meaning of '100 year flood plain'. It's not a good idea to build you shack in the middle of something that starts with Rio even if nobody has seen water in it in living memory.

There was also the lesson that a $30,000 4WD SUV ain't an Amphicar and the water in the wash is a little more than 6" deep.

Reply to
rbowman