Hurricane Windows

We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not near by, to actually inspect our house.
My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors" also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand bags and plastic barriers
On 9/12/2017 1:08 PM, Dave C wrote:

If by water penetration you mean heavy rain, you should be good. Flooding, crap shoot.
The surge was not as bad as originally thought so you may be ok for flooding. My daughter in Bradenton is in a B zone and had no flooding but no idea when power will be back. I hope you did as well as she did. My son in Parrish never lost power.
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 1:46:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Flooding I'd say forget about it. The windows nay not let more than a small trickle in, but the water hands almost infinite other paths. I watched some dummy in FL on the news before the storm, cutting up what looked like door panels or similar, to form a barrier inside his garage? WTF? Total waste of time.

Yes, the storm surge, from what I saw, the worst might have been in Miami area and very southern west coast.

Hundreds of power line workers plus equipment are on the way from Ontario Canada. Link below is just one company - several other large electrical companies are sending help also eg. Toronto Hydro.
https://www.hydroone.com/cnw-article#?articleId 2901
John T.
On 9/12/2017 2:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

We always bitch about the electric bill, but in a crisis power companies do a good job of assisting in other areas and getting power back on quickly. Of course, it is quickly at your house, takes forever if it is my house.
They cut power in my son's area for a few hours to clear downed wires for safety. Four hours down is really a minor inconvenience.
On 12-Sep-17 2:27 PM, Oren wrote: ...

All depends on what definition of "long" is and how much damage there is to restore for any given location...not terribly uncommon to be month or more for some locations if there are significant numbers of poles required or major transformers or the like...the more rural the more likely, but even urban areas can take quite a while if damage is severe enough.
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:56:35 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

It took a week here in NJ after Sandy to restore power to my house. A friend took a couple days longer. They built his substation next to a river, in a low spot, a couple miles in from the ocean. Not too bright. His was one of the last in the area I think.
On 12-Sep-17 7:41 PM, trader_4 wrote:

It took almost three months before the last permanent lines were back up near here (far SW KS) after the big ice event of about 6-7 years ago. About 30 miles without a single pole still standing to some of the outlying farmstead areas were the last. They did have temporary service after about the first month or so...

there are only two types of windows and doors - "Those that leak and those that are going to leak."
http://www.floridadisaster.org/hrg/content/openings/openings_index.asp
John T.

Thanks to all of the responders! As we now have power (New Port Rchey FL area) we soon find out if we had water penetration.
On the bigger picture, we are glad to still have our "roof" intact
Thx