Second Floor Laundry Room

And the fact that it sometimes freezes is of importance exactly how?

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, if nothing else, it is a air leak to the outside. An ambitious bug could even enter that way, unless you screened the end of it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Do floor drains use a trap? If they do, how do you keep the trap full of water?

-- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Gravity will keep water in the trap. For a washer you'll need an air admittance valve beside the stand pipe if the waste water has a long route to the main soil pipe tree. This allows air to be sucked along with the washer water letting it flow smoothly so it doesn't make noise when gravity accelerates it down from the second floor.

Jeff The Drunk

I did not know that gravity will keep water from evaporating over time. Most drains are used every day. A floor drain might not be used for years.

-- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I have heard of people pouring a small amount of oil into the drain-- not sure if it was cooking oil or mineral (motor) oil, or if it would matter which. This would be especially for drains that are not that easily accessable. Otherwise, if the drain is easy to get to, and gets no normal use, just pour some water into it periodically. Water evaporates- things like that are just part of maintainance.

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I didn't say that gravity would keep water from evaporating. I recommend that you take a piss in the floor drain once a date to make up for evaporation.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk