Laundry Room Drain

Our washer drains into a laundry tub. Unfortunately if someone leaves crap in the tub it overflows. This has happened about four times now, flooding out the basement washroom below.

I'd like to install a drain under the washer, dryer and laundry tub. My idea is to raise the rest of the room with some marine grade plywood, leaving the washer, dryer and tub lower than the rest of the room. I'd then install some linoleum and seal up the edges with silcone caulk. But this still leaves the possibility of water seeping out the edges. So what can I use to form my own pan about an inch up the walls? How about some EPDM under the Linoleum? I know I could tile, but this requires more skill and I'm concerned about water leaking through the grout?

I'll also be investing in a Laundry Tub with an overflow drain.

Reply to
Bill Stock

My advice is to do it right. Put in a proper drain for the washer with a proper vent. It will work better, meet code and I will guess it will be easier to do that the Buba fix you are suggesting.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Same membrane that is used for shower pans.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

The first time was an accident. The other three times, it was intentional, since the others knew the likely outcome.

Let me get this straight. It's happened four times and nobody's learned from the experience? You are being taken advantage of, Bill. Don't invest one more minute thinking about construction. You need a family meeting, and the "someones" need a good dose of fatherly terror. Are the "someones" your kids, spouse, both? Asuming these people are not retarded, they're either totally inconsiderate, or perhaps too young to be playing near that laundry tub.

My laundry tub's in the basement. My 15 yr old son left a washcloth in there a few months back while doing his laundry. You know what happened. When he asked how to clean it up, I almost told him "with a little sponge", but couldn't bring myself to do it. I realized that even using the shop vac and a mop, it would be a disgusting job. I showed him how to use the shop vac safely, pointed to the mop, sat on the steps, and watched. When it was over, he brought the shop vac outdoors to hose out the disgusting cellar floor/spider web residue. Naturally, being a rough basement floor, the mop head was shredded & useless when the job was done, so he accompanied me to the hardware store for a new mop head.

Afterward, he said "Jeez....THAT'LL never happen again". Now, he moves ALL objects a foot from the tub before he does laundry, and he understands why the stopper, which used to hang on a chain, is now kept on a pegboard hook

20 feet away.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My sentiments too, but the last time was actually caused by some fuzz from the washing machine. I'd also like to avoid the leaky washer problem should it occur.

Live in parent I'm afraid, so a lecture is pointless.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Thanks, sounds like the ticket.

Reply to
Bill Stock

intentional,

Supermarkets sell little packets of 2 lint traps for under two bucks. They look like big condoms full of holes. Slip it over the drain hose and secure VERY tightly with plastic wire ties, available at home centers.

Run the circuit through a lockable wall switch - the kind you see in school that require a simple key. Parent wants to do laundry? Parent has to ask for the sink to be checked.

Reply to
Doug Kanter