Sears Craftsman "Lifetime Guarantee" ?

ARS DOES NOT MAKE TAPE MEASURES ANYMORE. THEY REPLACED THE CRAFTSMAN TAPE MEASURE WITH ANOTHER BRAND BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIS ONE BREAKS? SOUNDS L IKE A SNEAKY WAY TO GET AROUND A "LIFETIME WARRANTY" MAYBE A "CLASS ACTION SUIT" IS BREWING????

SEARS IS NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE!

Reply to
bob.effectiveleadership360

DOES NOT MAKE TAPE MEASURES ANYMORE. THEY REPLACED THE CRAFTSMAN TAPE MEASURE WITH ANOTHER BRAND BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIS ONE BREAKS? SOUNDS LIKE A SNEAKY WAY TO GET AROUND A "LIFETIME WARRANTY" MAYBE A "CLASS ACTION SUIT" IS BREWING????

The vast majority of people want cheap so they now shop at China Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Albert

They are K Mart now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sears doesn't own Craftsman anymore. The guy who now owns Sears and Kmart moved Craftsman and Kenmore into a separate holding company. That's why you see those brands being sold at other stores. Clever move on his part - once he's done stripping Sears and Kmart of their assets and the chains go belly up, those two brands will remain in his control, continuing to earn him money.

That's not news. Where have you been? Sears and Kmart were bought by a hedge fund guy. He hasn't much time for retail. He doesn't put income earned by Sears/Kmart back into the businesses, he invests it elsewhere. Eventually the chains will no longer be profitable. When that happens, he'll shut them down and sell off the remaining assets. He's already planning on converting thousands of the stores into data centers. Others will be sold for redevelopment.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Sears is a publicly traded company. There is no "guy who owns Sears and Kmart". What's so wrong about restructuring corporations?? You sound like a real pinky.

They were already bankrupt. If they go under, no loss. Sheesh!

Once the ship sinks, it's probably not a good idea to keep pumping money into it.

No shit? Wow, losers die. What a concept!

Citation please. Why in hell would someone make a "data center" out of expensive retail space that was never designed for the purpose, when such space is cheap. Data center for what? Sears?

Reply to
krw

eddie lampert runs sears k mart, he has milked money out of them forever, sold off the assets.

the problem is people prefer to shop at nice stores, by not reinvesting any money back into the stores they detoriate and sales fall.

sears k mart will likely be sold off when eddie is done stripping the profits......

just walk thru your local sears or k mart, cracked floors, scratched display cases, holes in cieling tiles, worn out stores......

meanwhile eddie smiles he got his money out.......

its all very sad........ intentially killing a chain of stores

Reply to
bob haller

Another Sears complaint is that they now fail to honor the lifetime guarantee on the heat exchanger in their oil furnace because they no longer sell or service furnaces in my area (New Hampshire). They need to send a technician to certify that the thing is broken, but they have none here. Also looking up the heat exchanger on their website shows that it is no longer available.

Of course the warranty was never worth that much in the first place, as a heat exchanger costs about $500 (covered), but the labor is about $1000 (not covered).

So I will have to buy a new furnace before next winter, but it will be good to get rid of the Sears junk anyway.

Reply to
Larry Weil

He is killing it faster, but it would die anyway. Just like J C Penney is dying. Wal Mart, Target, Kohl's are taking what walk in business is left and internet sales are still growing.

I'm not so sure Wal Mart will do as well in the future. They seem to be out of a lot of product and there is a lot of negativity from some people because of their business model.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Fri, 31 May 2013 05:50:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in Re Re: Sears Craftsman "Lifetime Guarantee" ?:

I kept tally of my Wal Mart shopping "experience" for several months and found that 15% (average) of the items on my shopping list were out of stock (empty shelf). The worst section was the bakery. About 25% of the shelf space was empty at 10:00 AM on a Sunday morning. Every Sunday morning.

Complaints to the home office brought no improvement. WM is the only game in our small town and they know it.

Every time I leave a WM I find myself praying for a Target super center.

Reply to
CRNG

penneys was historical profitable and paid a dividend, till Ron crackpot Johnson was put in charge:(

is less than 2 years his reinvention of retail nearly killed the retailer, the disaster could of easily been prevented if they had test marketed his ideas in one select area......

penneys will be lucky to survive, they could easily join montogmery ward and WT GRANT in the dustbin of one time great retailers who ceased to exist.......

Reply to
bob haller

The only thing going for Kmart is where they don't have competition from Walmart or similar. I have one here in NJ that's a lot closer to my house than either of two Walmarts. The Kmart is not the worst I've seen, but it's older and as you say they haven't put money back into it for a very long time.

Their point of sale system is decades old. I have been in there a few times now where they couldn't check people out because it was either running slow or down altogether. It went down last year right before Xmas. I was standing in line, first it was running very slow, then it went down. To bring it back up,they have to download over some very slow link and do it one register at a time. After 10 or 15 mins, I suggested to mgt that they just give us bags so we could leave our stuff and come back later. That is what I and most of the other folks did. But how many times do you have to go through that before you don't go there again? And you would think having a good POS system would be one of the things you would put money into, unless you plan to close the store in a few months. This has been going onn for years.....

Reply to
trader4

He may be the CEO and he may well "run" the company but he does *NOT* "own" it. He is running the company as its share holders see fit. What's the problem?

So "shop at a nice store" that suits your needs. If Sears or Kmart doesn't, don't shop there. In any case QUIT WHINING! What a loser.

Good! What's it to you?

I certainly didn't notice that last weekend when I was there (the first time in a year). In any case, if that offends your delicate sensibilities, DON'T GO THERE!

"HE"? He is the employee of the share holders. Evidently they agree with him. You don't get a vote.

That may be but IT'S NONE OF YOUR DAMNED BUSINESS. STOP WHINING!

Reply to
krw

Perhaps either the stuff is already gone by the time you get your ass out of bed or they're not selling enough in that store to justify the inventory, particularly the perishables (like bread). The WMs here certainly don't have that problem. They all seem to be well stocked (except ammunition but Janet has all of that).

They know they're losing money without inventory. They probably also know that they would lose more with it.

I go into Target once a week to grab money from the ATM (they're in our out-of-state CU's network = free). I may buy something there once a year; too expensive. We shop in WM perhaps once every other week (and Sam's once a month).

Your experience certainly isn't universal.

Reply to
krw

A few years ago, I brought a Craftsman steel/aluminum tape measure to Sears, and they replaced it with a plastic non-Craftsman tape measure, saying that they no longer honor the guarantee of 1:1 replacment for tape measures.

Of course, the new tape measure was *not* covered under the guarantee, and it broke a year or two after that.

Also, about a year ago, I handed them my favorite socket handle, and they took 8 weeks to repair it, saying they no longer replace socket handles with new ones on the spot.

That handle had the year 1972 inscribed on the handle, so, I must say I did get my use out of it; yet, still, I had expected an on-the-spot replacement, based on the marketing hype around their tool guarantee.

These two experiences with the Craftsman guarantee don't impress me much, so, while I like their tools, I wouldn't argue with anyone who said the guarantee isn't what it used to be (whatever it used to be).

Reply to
Danny D

Reply to
Bill Graham

Seems to be happening in many areas of the country. I've read complaints from various areas in other newsgroups too. My guess is, some genius said "lets reduce inventory to boost cash flow" and they made some arbitrary cuts.

For the past 20+ years I've been buying cheap Black & Decker irons from Walmart at the rate of a couple a month I've not been able to find them in a couple of WalMarts in the area, but K Mart had about 2 dozen of them. I picked up five.

For the curious, we use them at work for sealing plastic bags. I've never found a better method or a better tool than a Teflon coated iron. B & D works better than other brands too.

With the wrong inventory, yes, but with common item that move on a regular basis, no. They have records of what moves.

Maybe not universal, but seeming getting common.

I'm not crazy about Target either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Our K Mart was made into a Sears Essentials, not back to K Mart again. It is well kept, clean and neat. It has one big advantage over the Wal Mart. The parking lot is empty. If I know what I need, I go past the crowd at WM and go the 1/4 mile to KM and get in and out fast.

Funny thing is, KM and WM fought over the location for a new store about a dozen years ago. Both wanted the same parcel. KM won, but WM found a better location right off the highway exit, very visible versus not visible at all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

sears essentials is known to be a big flop nationwide.....

its stunning companies dont test market a concept before investing heavily in it

Reply to
bob haller

BG > [W]elcome to our brave new world filled with

De-schadenfreude.ogg pronunciation by Ralph Muno, native speaker.

Greegor