Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

I have a 4-5 year old Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener. It had been working fine, but a few days ago it malfunctioned. When I press the control to open it, I can hear the motor running, but the gear that drives the chain doesn't turn. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Reply to
danmatel

Sounds as though the gear that dives the chain has come loose from the drive shaft of the motor.

It probably has a set screw that has loosened.

Reply to
barbarow

Take the cover off and look at it. The white plastic worm gear is probably worn out. It is replaceable

Reply to
tnom

Our garage door openers overhead light would not go out when we closed the door. We called Sears and the man said if you do not need the light just take the bulb out, which we did. It works fine now.

He said it would cost more to repair it than buying a new unit.

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

Is there a question here?