Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

Yes I do fuckface. They're smaller than #4 screws.

The only thing that tool mentioned in the URL would be good for would be to split a laptop in two pieces with a good smack from a hammer.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Put away the car tools and use a very small pair of needle nose pliers. Grab along the outside of the screw in the millimeter gap between screw and case.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If I understand you right two small Phillips head screws never moved. The heads just stripped. If that's the case:

Do the heads stick up enough to grab on to? If so use needle nosed Vise Grips.

Or use a small dremel with a paper thin cut off wheel and put a screw driver slot in them.

tnom

Additionally: Use the dremel cut off wheel to machine flats on the outside of the screw head. Then use the needle nosed Vise Grips.

You can also purchase left hand drills. Try to make the tip catch when drilling.

tnom

I don't know how badly you have torn up the head, but before resorting to heroics, if there is anything left try Screw Grab

with a good Phillips screwdriver. Two options are

If this doesn't work, or there isn't enough of a head recess left, drill into the screw with a jeweler's drill or a Dremel and a steady hand so that a micro extractor can be used. Note that the correct size drill bit is on the opposite end from the extractor.

Softening Locktite, if that has been used, is best done with a paint remover that is rich in methylene chloride. Methylene chloride will attack plastics with a vengeance so be very careful to not place it in contact with your laptop's case.

Good luck.

Boden

Boden

Reply to
Boden

This will sound horrible, but I have on occasioned turned the screw the other way, to un-seize the threads. Or if the head breaks off, just use packing tape when I reinstall. Those drives are so tiny, 2 screws will take the weight- you just need to keep it from flopping around in there.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Fuckface is still at it? There is *nothing* more pathetic than argueing to somebody who can't hear you.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

She may not have a sense of humor. Ask her!

Reply to
Oren

I'm looking at the same screws on my Dell laptop. They re big enough that I could, if need be, CUT a slot across the screw with a Dremel type tool and the finest/smallest disc/cutter and use a regular flat screwdriver to "undo"

Reply to
Rudy

If you suspect locktite, heat the head of the screw with a soldering iron before removing. The heat breaks the bond.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

vinny had written this in response to

: How about putting super glue on your screw driver and stick it to the screw until it bonds (maybe a few minutes). Try it maybe it will work.

------------------------------------- Rudy wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 317267 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
vinny

On 10/7/2008 10:01 PM vinny spake thus:

:

Nope, that's nothing but wishful thinking. Whatever bond there is will be broken instantly the moment you turn the screwdriver.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

He's making mincemeat of you, and nobody is rising to your defense. I think they are enjoying it.

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In these hard economic times, cheap entertainment is welcome :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9B309D44781C9jyanikkuanet@

74.209.136.86:

Possibly something here would help?

Red Green

What? No explosives? You're no fun.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

vinny had written this in response to

: I think I already replied, not sure why it didn't show up.

Anyways did you try using super glue and and bond the screw drvier and the screw?

------------------------------------- R> I've stripped two of the screws holding the hard

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 317598 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
vinny

As Rocky said to Bullwinkle, "That trick never works!"

Reply to
pheeh.zero

The Spin-it-out screw remover did the job

One screw took a tiny touch of 1/16" drilling first, but the other didn't even need that.

It's built for #0 screws, is what was attracting about it.

Just put it in a regular multi-bit screwdriver handle and unscrew.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com:

I was kinda hoping you would try some of my ideas that I posted.... 8-)

Oh,well.....

Reply to
Jim Yanik