Screw extractor

These sound useful, ever used anything like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181742384239
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:26:47 +0100, Mr Macaw wrote:

No. Or to be exact I have tried to use them but can't once recall them working. And I was able to heat the workpiece up with acetylene too.
Yes, I have a set. As useful as a chocolate teapot. If you want to further butcher already knackered screw heads and/or enjoy the juddering sensation of the drill bouncing on them, these are your chaps.
Terry.
On Thursday, 31 March 2016 17:06:41 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

+1 Effing useless. Never have I succeeded using them.

Did you drill a pilot hole first?
--
Do you know what a Jewish dilemma is?
Free ham.
On Thursday, 31 March 2016 18:17:07 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes.
harry wrote:

I have a set and they work, but have a much finer thread. These seem a bit coarse and I'd expect them to fail to grip adequately.

Useful information, I'll have a good look at several makes before buying.
--
"You might show me a little more respect" complained the coed as she and her date were driving back from "Lover's Lookout".
"Yeah?" asked the smirking boy, "Like by doing what?"

In my experience also they very rarely work. Once you drill the screw head off, you can normally disassemble the parts, then you have a short length of shank exposed. Apply penetrating oil and let it soak. Grip the shank very firmly with a mole wrench. (Put a pair of flats on it if the diameter is reasonable). That will free up most things IME. For studs that are broken off flush, try to drill a small hole down the axis of the stud until it breaks through at the bottom. Successively increase the drill size until you just reach the tips of the threads in the hole. (You can't normally get the drill exactly central, so you reach the threads at one point). Once you have done that, apply a chisel to the remaining stud material near the break-through point. The stud should be sufficiently weakened that you can "collapse" the tube so that it becomes free in the threaded hole. In extreme cases, if you have managed to drill close to the axis, you can sometimes "unwind" the thread like a spring.
On Thursday, 31 March 2016 22:35:59 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:

Exactly correct.

If your drill is bouncing, you need a table drill, or whatever they're called, or a firmer grip.
--
I told my wife the truth. I told her I was seeing a psychiatrist.
Then she told me the truth: that she was seeing a psychiatrist, two plumbers, and a bartender.

I have found them ok in some cases. You need to drill a hole for them though. (you are more likely to have success on fairly substantial bolts etc rather than normal screws)
Quite often just drilling the hole with a left handed drill bit will do the job all by itself.
--
Cheers,

John.

Never used one of those, I'll have to get hold of some left handed drills.
--
A man goes into a library and asks for a book on suicide.
The librarian says, "Fuck off, you won't bring it back!"
On 01/04/2016 12:55, Mr Macaw wrote:

Don't forget to get a left handed screwdriver at the same time.

Those lefty folk are weird, I wouldn't be surprised if there was such a thing.
--
Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!

On 2016-04-01, John Rumm wrote:

Are you April-fooling?
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:30:05 UTC+2, Adam Funk wrote:

Don't think so. Eg: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
They are drills with the thread running the other way (so they will tend to exert a torque on the screw which undoes it).
On 4/1/2016 2:16 PM, Martin Bonner wrote:

Amusing to see that the photo clearly shows normal right handed drills.
On 2016-04-01, Martin Bonner wrote:

Hmm, I guess the photo got reversed somehow!