Screw extractor

Nah, he did what I often do on Ebay and take a picture form Google Images. He just wasn't that thorough in finding the right.... er left.... one.
--
The symbol # is called an octothorpe.
(A whimsical creation based on the idea that the symbol looks like a village surrounded by eight fields)
On 01/04/2016 13:26, Adam Funk wrote:

Much as it might sound like it, no, I am actually being serious,
I have a set of drills that cut when spun in the anticlockwise direction. They are particularly good for drilling stuck fasteners, since the heat generated by the drilling combined with the direction of rotation will often spin out the stuck fastener. If they don't, then you still have a hole ready to try a stud extractor in.
(although if you snap off the hardened stud extractor, you are still in the same world of hurt!)
--
Cheers,

John.

Some electric drills go slower in reverse.
--
O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."
United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this... I've got the little Fokker in sight."
On 2016-04-01, John Rumm wrote:

Or if you snap off the special drill!

It isnt normally hard to get the broken bit of the drill out of what you were drilling when it broke.
On 2016-04-05, Thomas Johns wrote:

I was thinking mainly that the LH drills are rarer & (I assume) more expensive than normal ones. Of course if you have 3 stuck screws to get out, the drill is going to break on the first or second screw, & the neighbourhood pet food & DIY store won't stock those drills.
wrote in message

So you buy 5 when you have 3 stuck screws.

Contrary to others' experience it seems, I once used successfully one in my youth to remove a cylinder head stud on my motorbike. Decades ago now, so I can't recall the circumstances; notably what had originally happened to the stud; however I can certainly remember the tangible relief when I got it out!
--
David

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:40:27 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Ooh err Missis !!!!

What I want to know is how he got the local stud up there. Was it a rear end shunt on the motorbike?
--
The dot over the letter i is called a tittle.

If you use that type simply on a knackered head they will not work, they require a pilot hole drilling through the head into the screw then they work perfectly well based on experience.
Richard

The only things I've used before are these stupid things, which are supposed to self tap. They don't. They take ages to get anywhere and just tear the top part of the screw to pieces:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zy944n30nix5x9/Screw%20remover.jpg?dl=0
--
Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.
On 31/03/2016 18:11, Mr Macaw wrote:

I have had some success with a similar product but maybe it depends on how seized they are. One point though the extractors are strong but brittle and there is a danger of snapping one while trying to extract. Then you will have days of fun trying to drill out the extractor.

Why do they make them brittle? They should be stronger than the average screw.
--
I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place. -- Steven Wright

That is an inevitable by product of making them stronger that what you are extracting so they dig into what you are extracting so you can get what you are extracting out.

They are, but more brittle too. In other words they can break rather than just deform. You don't want them to deform, you want them to not deform so they deform what you have screwed them into that you want to extract.

There must be a material which is stronger AND less brittle, but I guess that costs money.
--
People who wonder whether the glass is half empty or half full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Can't think of any that would work as an extractor.
On Friday, 1 April 2016 00:43:48 UTC+2, Mr Macaw wrote:

Lots and LOTS of money. Trading off strength against toughness is easy - adding both is really expensive (and if it were cheap, the screws you are trying to extract would be made stronger *and* tougher - so you would be back where you started).
See "The New Science of Strong Materials" for an easy-to-read introduction to the problem.
On 3/31/2016 6:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've never had much luck with these.
Mr Macaw wrote:

We call them easy outs, been using them for years, have to drill the right size hole first, lately I have been having success witht hese
http://tinyurl.com/htlekg8