Rust cleaner effectiveness etc.

I used some Loctite Naval Jelly Rust dissolver on this lock.

Totally useless as "teats on a whatever."

What is effective?

Would prefer something that cleans and reacts with the leftover rust after the item has been brushed.

The lock is cheap.

Used for my bicycle which is kept outside under a plastic tarp.

I have been using spray silicone for the insides, but also have PB catalyst rust spray and triflow superior lubricant.

Need something that lasts longer.

Thanks, Andy

President Bump will grow up, I do not care what they say.

Reply to
A K

For things you can dip, Evapo-Rust is quite good for removing rust.

For preventing rust, keep it clean, keep it dry. Don't store iron and steel outside unless you are ok with it rusting. Especially if you live where there is a coastal influence (salt).

Reply to
croy

Keeping a bicycle under a plastic tarp is useless for *preventing rust*. They sweat under the tarp thereby staying damp all the time. You may as well store your bike in a sauna.

Reply to
Xeno

You are quite wrong. Tarps greatly slow down the rust process.

I have no seawater, but have lots of breezes.

Andy

Reply to
A K

Good, you aren't a young "whipper snapper." :-)

I will try the Evapo Rust.

I live on a 2nd floor apartment. Carrying a 80 lb bike up the stairs is quite bad on my back and neck.

I have with near constant breezes which does a fair job of evaporating any water that gets in from strong rains.

And the lock I use. It is not under the tarp, but attaches a metal cable to my stairs.

Andy

Reply to
A K

Phosphoric acid. It attacks rust, not sound metal, and leaves a phosphate coating that inhibits rust until you can treat the article. Hydrochloric acid also removes rust but leave a unprotected surface that will rust before your eyes.

Phosphoric is used to etch concrete and is economical by the gallon. It's not hand cream but if you read the can of your favorite soft drink it probably lists phosphoric acid as an ingredient.

Reply to
rbowman

Tarps do, plastic tarps don't.

Reply to
Xeno

HCl is a very strong acid. It's pretty much the last thing you want to use on metal unless you want to dissolve it. I worked with it for 30 years.

I have a gallon of 32 molar in my closet. Despite a tight seal, I had to put a trash bag over the bottle so the vapor did not corrode pipes etc.

Andy

Reply to
A K