Re: rust cleaner

would anyone know of an effective non toxic rust cleaner for toilet >bowls??

CLR. The "R" stands for Rust. Anything with oxalic acid should dissolve rust. CLR is not necessarily "nontoxic" but it can be used with food items. "Wink" is another good product. Do not use any abrasives on or in your toilet.

Reply to
Phisherman

Where do you get it? Kaboom contains it, and Kaboom damages some surfaces.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:17:03 -0400 Lloyd Randall scrawled this disquisition:

I use Mineral Magic. It has twice the urea salt and the surfactants are a little milder on surfaces than KaBoom. Price is also less :-)

And the KaBoom disclaimer is: "Do not use on: Natural Stone, Marble, Painted Surfaces, Plastic, Clothing, Wallpaper, Cracked or Damaged Surface."

The original question was regarding toilet bowls so KaBoom is also a less toxic alternative to oxalic acid.

FS

Reply to
Friendly

Vitamin C will remove rust.

Cheers,

Ned

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Now I've never thought of that before but it makes sense. All you might have to do is crush a vitimin tablet & mix with water.

I have to ask if it's strong enough for all type of rust stain or it's a similar strength to acetic acid, which only works on a few rust stains? (Come to think of it I'll experiment if you have no answer because it could be a good tip on the site - but an answer would give a good indication).

I'll report back - when I've found some rust.

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean

I have used it to remove rust from steel parts and from cotton cloth. Ascorbic acid combines chemically with the iron and makes a water soluble compound that washes away. Sorry, I do not have an answer for the strength of this acid as compared to others; I would venter to guess that it is low strength, however it does have an affinity for iron.

Cheers,

Ned

Reply to
Ned Flanders