Tape head etc cleaner.

I've got a pile of 1/4" tapes to transfer to CD, and have run out of my favourite head and transport cleaner - AF-Spray, order code AFS400. Last time, I bought a case of it - so a very long time ago. It was the stuff used by the BBC and ITV for cleaning all types of tape machine transports and heads - both audio and video. A good connector etc cleaner too.

I've not been able to find it at the usual suspects, CPC etc.

So wondered what is the modern equivalent? I've no idea what the solvent actually was - doesn't say on the aerosol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have AF Safeclean which I suspect superceded it. The original might well have contained Ethyl Chloride which, I think, is banned by the EU, but you might find from a US vendor on EBay. My can of that has a warning that it is known to the State of California to cause cancer. (Possibly to the EU, too.)

Reply to
charles

Years back I used to use AF spray for computer tape heads on Ampex 1/2" reel to reel vacuum column decks, or if none available "Safewipes" which were a lint free pad soaked in IPA and sealed in a foil sachet - except the sachets always seemed to dry out so carried a little bottle of IPA to wet them :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

isopropyl alcohol, which has much the same properties as ethyl alcohol. IIRC surgical spirit should be good, but definitely not rubbing alcohol. Vodka probably, not sure.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I thought IPA came in pint bottles with crown corks made by people like Greene King

Reply to
charles

meths would be fine too

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If it's Iso. Prop. Acl. then

A non-flammable alternative is Colclene PCS

which I see is also available from CPC

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Neither Meths nor Surgical spirit - they both leave residue due to the additives in them.

Reply to
george

In message , charles writes

You'll find very few pint bottles these days. Instead, they are nearly all a vastly short-measure 500ml. However, for cleaning tape heads etc, I think I've always used meths and a Q-tip.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

As Boots don't (well my local one doesn't) seem to sell it anymore:

£16.25

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

HOW MUCH!

£8.49 delivered, 1 l, 99.9% iso-propanol. Was £7.99 before Christmas

when I bought for the lads cloud chamber.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

India Pale Ale?

I wouldn't clean my arse with that...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lord, meths is far cheaper

NT

Reply to
meow2222

enuogh to matter? Not IIRC.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think I remember using acetone on a Q-tip for just this purpose - it seemed to work very well AFAIR

Best of luck!

Reply to
Flynno

ISTR that the 500 ml of meths I bought last year was over £3, so £6+/l...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Flynno writes

Isn't there is a great danger of acetone dissolving something? [And cellulose thinners?] Meths is far safer.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I use IPA myself quite cheap in cans at cpc. However it needs to be kept well sealed as it tends to evaporate. I don't like spray stuff as it can degrease things that should stay greased via overspray. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

CPC do it for £9.70 inclusive, if you look around. SA01885. Minimum order £10 for card orders so you might have to buy a few resistors too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 23 Jan 2015, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com grunted:

And what's the difference between surgical spirit and rubbing alcohol (he says, provocatively!)?

Reply to
Lobster