Replacing shower with laundry sink

Hey folks,

There's a small shower in my laundry room, and I'm planning to replace this with a laundry sink. As I usually do, I tore into the destruction phase before planning out the rest of the job. :-) I've got the shower surround ready to come out, and I'm working on detaching the drain from the shower pan.

The water lines should be relatively simple to connect: there are tees on the hot and cold pipes for the washer that currently feed this shower. The question is, how can I convert the shower's floor drain to a suitable drain for the laundry sink?

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter A

The shower drain should be 2". You'll have to discover what material the pipe is.

If there is ~1" of pipe sticking above floor, use a Fernco rubber coupling to reduce to 1 1/2" *tubular* size (that's what the sink drain will be). If the pipe winds up being flush, chip out enough floor to get a coupling on. The shower should have a trap under floor, so none is required on the sink.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nls.net:

Thanks for the advice! My job is easier than I thought: after I got the shower surround and drain out, it finally dawned on me that the whole thing was built up on a pedestal, about 8" or so. The drain was in the top of this pedestal, and the pipe runs down and back to a horizontal run that's all exposed. I don't have to use the existing drain at all, and I shouldn't have trouble tying into that horizontal run. Thanks again,

Peter

Reply to
Peter A