Installing Laundry Sink in basement, do I need a sink pump?

I would like to put a laundry sink in the basement (w/ the washer and dryer which is already there) but need to figure out how I am going to drain the sink. I thought I could just piggy back onto the washer, use the same water and drain. I then realized that the bottom of my sink will be about six inches lower than the top of the lowest point I can make the drain intake. If my theory is correct, the sink will drain to this point and stop since water naturally levels. I'm not a physics expert but is there a way around installing a pump for just six inches? I thought maybe?? a check valve would work, but somehow doubt it..... My main reservation agaist the pump is the cost - ~ $200. I had hoped this would be a cheap and simple project. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
gbrickner

How about a six inch platform to set the sink on?

Reply to
RBM

g,

I'm not clear on what you mean when you write " the top of the lowest point I can make the drain intake". The washer should go to pipe which has a trap. Is your sink lower than this trap?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Instead of a deep laundry tray, could you maybe use a stainless kitchen sink? That might just make up the 6" diff. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

if you only have 6 inches you need a pump.

I thought maybe?? a check valve would work, but somehow | doubt it..... My main reservation agaist the pump is the cost - ~ | $200.

only 24.95 here

I had hoped this would be a cheap and simple project. Any | ideas are greatly appreciated. |

hope you can appreciate MY IDEAS

Reply to
Cabinets Galore

Reply to
Gary

Yes it is and I cannot raise the sink on a platform since my wife is short and woud not be able to reach the bottome of the sink.

Reply to
gbrickner

Unless you made the platform for her to stand on too. I don't like it, but it's an idea.

Reply to
mm

Have a sump pump? Drain into that, mine does. Might not be legal though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K