REPLACING KITCHEN SINK

I updated my shower doors yesterday with the new clear frameless glass. It looks so much nicer and cleaner than the opague of yesteryear.

This weekend I am tiling.

But, I wanted to know about replacing my kitchen sink. The whole kitchen is updated but the sink remains harvest gold from the 70s. I am thinking if sinks are "standard" in size, it should be a fairly easy project.

Any tips on the kitchen sink?

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

: :I updated my shower doors yesterday with the new clear frameless glass. :It looks so much nicer and cleaner than the opague of yesteryear. : :This weekend I am tiling. : :But, I wanted to know about replacing my kitchen sink. The whole :kitchen is updated but the sink remains harvest gold from the 70s. I :am thinking if sinks are "standard" in size, it should be a fairly easy :project. : :Any tips on the kitchen sink? I like mine, actually, and it's probably over 50 years old. It's a double and porcelain white. I'm told that they are hard to find now. Mine has some cracks, but it works fine, so I'm just going to keep it for the time being. The double sinks I see now are all stainless, and in my experience those always seem to look strange since they are prone to stains. I'm sure those stains are cleanable, but I'd probably be annoyed with that.

AFA your replacement project goes, it seems to me pretty straightforward. You need a sink of the right dimensions or else you have extra work to do. You need to connect the plumbing and get it leak free, and you need to caulk - standard stuff.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

You must not be looking very hard. Double bowl sinks of all material are common and readily available.

As far as sinks go, the material is mostly personal preference and kitchen style. For bowls, I like the type that have 2 bowls, but where one is big and the other is about 2/3 size. IMO, the type that has the small disposal well bowl is useless.

I have the Kohler Marsalla, which I think reflects the best in today's desgn. It's enamle, has two bowls, X and about 2/3's X size, the bowls are very deep, the drains are located near the back corners, and it's made for a single center faucet. That allows both bowls to go back farther, into the area where the faucets normally would go.

If you decide to go with enamel, I highly recommend Kohler. If you look at one of these next to an American STD, it's like night and day. The Kohler is real cast iron, has a finish that looks deep and rich.

and in

Reply to
trader4

If the sink has a stainless steel frame around it, as many do from that time period, your replacements choices will be somewhat limited. Frame mounted sink replacement require a larger than average sink to cover the original cut for the sink, or another frame mounted style sink. If the sink is self r****ng the replacement should be much less trouble.

Reply to
jolt

Also if you have the frame around the sink you need to support the sink so it doesn't come crashing down on you while removing the clips. I put a 2x4 across the counter then run a heavy rope through the drain holes and around the 2x4.

Cast iron sinks are MUCH heavier than they look and you may need two people to remove and install. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a sink of the approximate size and pick it up chest high then extend your arms straight out to get an idea of what they weigh. Expect your old one to be thicker and heavier.

DAGS on sink replacement. You will easily find hundreds of websites with detailed instructions.

Reply to
RayV