Replacing roof in the winter

I need a new roof. I was going to do it next spring but just developed leaks in my roof. I think they are asphalt shingles. Can I have it replaced now in cold weather (Massachusetts) and will they seal?

Any info or directions to reliable info would be appreciated. I know next to nothing about this and need to learn quickly!!

Thanks.

Chet

Reply to
CGB

Hi, How about fix the leak for temporary and do it in warm weather. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If it must be a diy project, plan it for warmer weather and just do a patchup of some kind for now, even if it's only a few gallons of tar. Too cold, too dangerous, and too many "tricks of the trade" for a newbie to tackle. Better wet than broke or dead.

Reply to
Pop

No. I just had my roof (Chicago) done 2 weeks ago, it was the tail end of their season. It was only because of the un-seasonably warm weather that they could even do it.

Without a nice, warm, sunny day, the shingles won't seal, and be subject to wind damage.

Reply to
John Hines

I agree with Pop. Don't do it yourself. The temp will make it a lot harder for you do get done right. The pros do it all the time with no problems. If you get a good day they will seal now, if not they will do it in the spring. Just hope you don't get a really odd wind in the meantime.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Interesting, the thought of just patching it never entered my mind! I don't know exactly where the leak is. It's coming into an upstairs bedroom ceiling and the crawlspace above is not too accessible but possible I suppose. There is a leak into garage ceiling also (it has a sheet rock ceiling) and no access above. Ouch!

I wouldn't attempt any of this myself. I can't handle heights and don't know anything about roofing.

I take it the gist is to wait til warm weather if at all possible. I hope it's possible. Having some background info I'll contact a roofer and see what he says. I talked to a construction guy (self-taught) yesterday who wanted the job and he said you can put roofs on anytime of year, they will still seal. Seems strange to me.

I take it the general consensus is wait, if possible?

Any links to any web pages so I could read about this stuff?

Thanks.

Chet

Reply to
CGB