Replacing disposal with plain drain

I never use my kitchen garbage disposal because I know it's not good to put chunky things down the drain to begin with. Plus, it hasn't worked since I bought the place. Are there reasons not to completely remove the disposal unit and just make it into a regular sink drain? Is it as easy as it sounds?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Reply to
gplantam

Less work to throw a replacement in there, than to fight with getting the drain assembly out of the sink? The mounts and dimensions are damn near universal at this point. If there is a power switch right by the kitchen window, the absence of the disposal will scream out when you sell the place.

Not saying you are wrong about disposals being pretty useless- but they are sort of expected these days. I thought I would miss it when I moved into this no-disposal house 3 years ago, but that hasn't been the case. Even in the apartments, I was careful never to choke the thing, but since this place is on septic, almost everything put water and suds needs to stay out of the drain anyway.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Nope. I've done it and it was quite easy.

Reply to
GTS

Since you don't really use it (it never worked).... I'd find a used one cheap craigslist & throw it in there.

The time to R&R an similar model is way less than the time to change over the drain setup you've got. Plus then you have a working unit when it comes time to rent or sell.

Less work & better outcome all the way around.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

They make an insert that has a very fine mesh, but I can't find one.

Walmart has one. It is called a sink screen.

Reply to
metspitzer

aemeijers wrote in news:Ue5lk.144698$102.7665 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Like a dishwasher. Last 3 places I've had I've fixed them so they work, ran through a cycle and that was it. Never used it again. For me, I can do them by hand in 5-8 min vs the DW running for 45-90 minutes. By the time I got enough dishes to do a load, any food would be bonded to the dishes at the molecular level. This of course would be after the stink & rot phase.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

As said, it may be less hastle to toss in a replacement. No one says you have to use it. Should you sell:

Without disposal - "Oh. There's no garbage disposal." With disposal - no comment at all like electricity and running water.

Red Green

The absence of a disposal screams "I don't like having to hire someone to auger out my main drain every 18 months!" Being in the home-buying search right now, I would say if a prospective buyer thinks the absence of a disposal as a deal-killer, you don't want to deal with them in the sale.

That being said, I would recommend replacing the disposal with another. While you shouldn't use it regularly to grind food waste, it does help catch the moderately-sized particles that might otherwise sit in your trap. I find I run the disposal in my sink about once every other day, just to get what's hangin' around.

Reply to
Kyle

  1. It is good to put chunky things down the drain.
  2. If it hasn't worked, why? A simple jam (which can be fixed with the flip of the wrist) or a burnt out motor?
  3. It would be considerably less aggravation, time, and possibly money, to replace the disposal rather than try to plumb around its absence.
Reply to
HeyBub