replacing a ceiling

I'm considering replacing a stucco ceiling that has been painted several times. Should I tear out the old one (knowing there's insulation and years of dust up there) or should I just gyproc over the existing ceiling?

Reply to
pandora

Are you sure that is really stucco or just sort of looks like it. I suspect it is a popcorn finish. It can be removed smoothed and refinished.

and others

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you have the time and money, then rip out the old and you will be very happy with your completely new ceiling.

However, others will never know the difference so do it the cheap and fast way.

Reply to
Deke