Spiral staircase size

I would like to install a (metal) spiral staircase inside my cabin. The stair will be between the main room (16' x 24') and the mezzanine (16' x 12') I did find a company that has many spiral staircase kits sizes to sell

I would like to know which size is better to choose to be acceptable for adults and my dog (cocker spaniel) I would choose the 4'6" diameter (clear walk space between pole and rail is 2'0"). Is that OK? What is most important: the clear walk space between pole and rail or the ramp angle? Any suggestions?

Thank you, Chris

Reply to
Chris

none are very comfortable to walk on, unless your inside diameter gets up to a couple feet. your dog may not like it at all

Reply to
longshot

Sporal staircases are very pretty but if you'd like a bed up there, you will have to hoist it over the wall. They do not move easily up them nor do backboards move down them carrying a patient. Just considerations you need to be aware of.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

Any spiral stair that's less than 5' across is going to be a pain in the ass to use on a regular basis. The important dimension is actually the distance from the outside edge of the tread to wherever the tread narrows to less than 7". Because a tread less than 7" deep is more dangerous than no tread at all.

Reply to
Goedjn

My dog loved the spiral staircase we had in a condo. He found that if he got about 1/2 way up, he could see all sorts of good things (Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu mix -- serious watchdog). I did find that it was useful to invest in TWO vacuum cleaners - one up, one down, to avoid carrying junk up and down the spiral staircase. As to beds, furniture, etc., there was a railing that I could remove to lift the beds, furniture to the second floor. A great space saver, and looked nice. I had about

1-2" clearance between the rail of the staircase and the wall, so painting behind the rail was a bit of a PITA. Some dogs don't like to see open space under their feet. I never had trouble with my dogs (also a Golden), but my son's dog didn't care for the spiral staircase, or stairs in general. Your milage will vary..
Reply to
professorpaul