Repairs done for upgrading or for the health of the home

I advocate to all that if you are doing upgrades to your home this year use small businesses. It is the small businesses that helped pull the US out of the recession way back when, and it will be the small businesses that America will come to rely on.

Big stores are like Oil Companies they are more interested in profit then the consumer. I purchased new windows by Home Depot last summer. $12K for 17 windows. I was charged $700. for windows that were 27" x 72" being told that I had "odd" size windows and that's why they cost so much.

The installation day came. The installer advised me as they were striving to install the windows in my brick home that the windows were defective. Indeed the miters on the "double hung, special windows, hand made just for my home" were up to 4mm and wider apart. I have "plastic (Home Depot's exact words)" sticking out perpendicular to my windows. I bought vinyl windows not plastic.

I have a window in my kitchen hung crooked. We can see where water leaks have gotten past the sealing job they did. My sister noted she could feel air coming in through various sealed windows.

I wrote to Home Depot and they said "nothing was wrong with the windows." Funny as not one person from Home Depot ever came back to check on my windows.

To make a long store short, bigger stores such as Home Depot, would rather have you think it is "you" versus anything wrong with their product. Look at HD just find yourself a smaller company that is bonded and has been in biz long enough to stand behind their product for the next many years to come. Your business might just save another small business. And, you should get better service.

Reply to
tamara719

People get infatuated with Home Depot and think they are getting a bargain. They use the lowest bidders to do installations and sell mediocre products. You, again, show why the local shop is superior to the big guys. Good luck and I hope you continue to battle for satisfaction. If you have no luck, check the local newspaper and TV station for a consumer advocate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sooo , why did you go to Homedepot to find a contractor to install your new windows in the first place??? Don't know how to use the Yellow Pages ?? Never talked to anyone who has had work done??? By the sounds of your post you are a smart person so your story sounds a little fishy to me or somebody else wrote your post for you...If your intent was to start a "bash the big box stores" thread there was no need to make up a story....Just come right out and say it and we can all cut and paste our well used posts on the subject...About time for one...It's been a few weeks...LOL...Although I like HD I would NOT go there to find a contractor or buy windows there and I've never been accused of being really smart...LOL...

Reply to
benick

"benick" wrote

Well, I've used them for some things too. With 25,000$ worth of contracted repairs on return stateside, we had to 'go cheap' in some things. Not windows though. We use a specialty company called 'Custom Windows' for those.

We buy lots of things there and DIY repair. (Had we contracted it all out, we'd have had a 50,000 or more job). We are now down completely to cosmetics and an upgrade to insulate the garage.

HD did a nice job on the patio door replacement. It just so happens the contractors who do their doors in my local area, are good ones. They do rotten carpet jobs though so I'm piling up some money to have a real carpet place redo that. I'll live with the crappy carpet covered with asian rugs for a bit.

Reply to
cshenk

All the big stores are a crap shoot. They do have some good installers, but they have many bad ones too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski