Which one

It`s time to re do my outside wooden decks. I plan to use Thompsons water seal but don`t know which one is best. The water base one is cheaper and is easy to clean up----The oil base one costs more but is more trouble to clean up. Is more expensive better? Thanks for a reply Herb

Reply to
Herb Eneva

Thompsons, you mean that Wax junk even Consumer Reports banned from its long term tests. Advertising proves there is a sucker born every minute.

Reply to
ransley

Change your plan. Thompson's isn't worth the money. Pick another one

- almost any other one, and it will be an improvement.

BTW, do everyone, yourself included, a favor and write a subject line that actually has some information.

RicodJour

None of the above. Check out Penofin oils.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Amen! I used to be a Thompson's fan. Used some Penofin on a bench two yrs ago -- it is still beading up. No more Thompsons for me. [the Penofin I used was oil based- maybe they all are. But I put it on with a rag & throw the rag away- so there isn't any clean-up.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I plan to use Thompsons water seal

New plan. Don't

I wouldn't put TWS on an outhouse.

Reply to
Joe

Same here. Also reformulated Thompson', I believe water based, is crap.

Reply to
Frank

Thompsons is simply a total waste of time and a perfect example of how well marketing can work even if a product is totally junk.

Reply to
George

Every year or less we have this thread. I also took the advice of the consesus a couple of years back and avoided Thompsons. I'm glad I did..

Reply to
in2dadark

buffalo ny: depending on your climate, if you can simply wash the deck you'll be happier. once you start with any type of coatings or stains or seals, it will never look to be evenly coated. make sure that the person in the home who wants this improvement is the same person who applies the coating; this is to minimize the recurring re-coating 1-to-2 year cycle that will occur due to peeling or uneven appearance. my neighbor put in a porch of fake plastic wood and it's the only porch that looks good unchanged after 5 years.

Reply to
wjohnston

It still suprises me how a company can just use Wax and make a fortune with a product that doesnt last, in the 80s when it first came out , since it was the first advertised product, I was suckered into thinking it was good.

Reply to
ransley

Marketing works. Whether it be crappy products, politicians or the big box mart if you say something enough in a convincing way it trumps reality for the masses.

Reply to
George

"Herb Eneva" wrote

I agree with the others. Penifin (sp?) is good.

We use oil based ones here. Lasts longer in our climate. We just get cheap brushes/sponges and toss them when done.

Reply to
cshenk