Removing Tiles from Cement Board Please Help

How difficult is it to remove ceramic tile from Cememt board? I used Mastic for adhesive? Will I be able to remove the tiles without destroying the cement board? Will I be able to re-use the cement board? Thanks in advance

Reply to
traderfjp

Michael Baugh

I've never tried that. Why?

Reply to
G Henslee

Hi traderfjp:

I've done this a couple of times. It's generally not too difficult, but it is time consuming. You will need to use an old chisel or perhaps a flat-bladed screwdriver. Wedge it under the edge of the tile and pry them away. Depending upon the mastic used, and how long the tiles have been installed you may find that the tiles pry up easily, or you may find that they crack apart and have to be nibbled away. Either way, you should be able to save the backerboard if you're careful.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

Well. I guess I was hoping that the consensus is that mastic is easy to get off cement board and that the tile would come right off. I guess I'll try prying off a few tiles and see what I'm in store for.

Reply to
traderfjp

Best way is get the biggest heaviest sledge you can get and start over from scratch. Honestly it isnt worth it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thing is, if it does come off easilly, the bodes poorly for any future attachment of tile to that same board. So even if you can salvage the board, it's not worthwhile.

John

Reply to
raven