Removing paint from a cement floor

But he will lose some thermal conductivity.

Danimal wrote:

Reply to
Bob F

-------------------------------------

Reply to
bob emery

-------------------------------------

Thanks All, for your comments.

I did rent a drum sander, as suggested in the postings, what a mess! The paint was not lead based. Anyway, it is done now and I will never paint cement again! We contacted the cement company, Roberts, and asked for their thoughts on installing the 260 sq ft of 12" porcelain tiles. They suggested removing the paint, of course, and using Thinset Flex 2 or 3. I bought Flex 3 and will start soon.

Bob

Reply to
bob emery

Sandblasting may not be such a bad way to go. All the work will be in the prep taping and covering everything that needs protecting which will be everything. Probably not much worse than preping to spray paint a ceiling. When I sandblasted my garage floor I installed 1 foot wide pieces of hardboard around the perimeter to protect the walls and baseboards. You may want to borrow or rent a couple of big shop vacs . Having these running in the room when you are blasting will pick up a lot of the dust before it settles back on the floor. Separating the room into sections with plastic curtains would also help control the mess.

From a chemical stripper I have seen people use lye to strip floor paint. Ive never done it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE