removing back lawn -- need replacement suggestions

Hi All,

It looks like I am finally going to replace my back lawn with a series of long planters to grow flowers and produce in.

I thought of using pavers to replace the lawn, but that seems expensive. I also thought of just rocking it in, but then the walking on them would eventually wear down to dirt.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

It would help if we had a clue of 10' x 10' or 50' x 50' or what, and where, FL or ND or somewhere in between?????

Reply to
hrhofmann

oops, sorry. Northern Nevada. I'd say about 1/5 acre.

Reply to
Todd

When I lived in Florida, we used river rock (NOT gravel) in a few small shaded areas where nothing would grow. For patio, we put down landscape cloth, then large square (20" ?) pavers....space pavers about 6-8" and fill in between with river rock. It is pervious, so water doesn't collect, easy to clean with leaf blower, and plenty of flat area for grill and chairs. If there are larger areas of rock, can sink pots for plants into the ground or set on top. I put a few pots into the ground so I could plant non-hardy stuff and take the pot inside when the occ. freeze came along. It is good to keep the rock cleaned off so soil doesn't collect and support weed growth.

Reply to
Norminn

oops, sorry. Northern Nevada. I'd say about 1/5 acre.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you

Reply to
Todd

try a section of planter before you do the entire thing, you may not like it:(

Reply to
bob haller

We are in our newly purchased home for our first spring...lots and lots of lawn, a small koi pond, a 20x50 fenced garden plot. We debated buying a riding mower or using the money to change landscape to lessen mowing and put the money into the landscaping. We will have large areas along side fences for shrubs, ornamental trees and flowers. Then a paver and rock patio. Possibly an island in front with hosta and rhododendron. Got a nice little mower and a grandson who needs a job, minimum wage + snacks. Got a garden to plant, but as long as I can watch stuff grow, it doesn't seem like work. By the time we get the landscape changes finished, there should be only as much lawn as two old folks can handle (grandsons going to college next year). But, then, son will have empty-nest syndrome, so he'll be available more :o)

Our grass is amazingly green and healthy, but I'm not going to put more time and money into growing grass than I need to....hoping to get a bocce court for my birthday :o)

Native plants are always a good idea and there are loads of attractive plants that will suit conditions and not require lots of care. Gardening is good for the spirit...healthy, always something changing and something to look forward to.

Reply to
Norminn

If you decide to put down rock / gravel...

consider putting down a geo-fabric between what ever you put down & the existing earth. Also consider some sort of edging.

Gravel / rock / stone / pebbles can work for a LONG time if "contained". The geo-fabric will the material keep the from disappearing into earth & the edging will keep if from spreading out.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

What he says sounds good

Reply to
hrhofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

no matter how you prep it eventually roundup will be needed to kill weeds.......

Reply to
bob haller

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

well what does occur is dust dirt leaves and other debris land on and fill between the rocks, and birds drop seeds in their poop.

my dad in phoenix has a gravel yard and its far from maintence free, but never needs watered.

Reply to
bob haller