how to monitor for leaks under your house?

Hi All,

Had a pipe spring a leak in our crawl space. All fixed now. I hate doing under the house. Is there an any way to monitor the crawlspace? Power over Ethernet cameras?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

A cat who is very afraid of water!!! When the cat comes shooting out from under the house with wet whiskers, you got a leak!

OR

A cat or dog who can talk!!!!

OR

A good place to keep a naggy wife, who will nag even more when she gets soaked!

AND/OR FINALLY

Pay the neighbor's kid $20 per day (plus meals) to live under the house and watch for leakers!

Reply to
generic

Made me laugh pretty hard! Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

Google 'water leak detector' - $5- ???? [I'll bet you can spend a grand if you want]

I made one once to keep an eye on the first sharkbite fitting I used. A battery, a buzzer, and some bell cord. Water completes the circuit and the buzzer buzzes.

Here's 6 for $40- just one style-- there are loads of them-- but the principle is the same.

all that said-- What kind of pipe 'sprung a leak'. Galvanized? Replace it all right now because it *will* continue to break. PVC? Bad joint? -redo them all because the guy who put them together likely did them all the same.

Copper joint--same as above.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Maybe someone is missing the toilet bowl in the morning ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Copper pipe.

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

recently I saw a copper pipe develop a pin hole, the wall thickness was very thin.....

by the time I arrived it was fixed my realtive had called a plumber..........

If you want to monitor for leaks under a crawl space cover the entire ground with heavy plastic sheets overlaped and taped together, create a low spot or multiple spots, and install water alarms.....

When a leak occurs it will collect at the low spots, and sound the alarm:)

Reply to
bob haller

:

If you connect a piece of ordinary lamp cord to the 2 points in a smoke detector that are bridged when you pust the test button and then put the other end of the cord where water will drain to, bare about

1/2 inch of each of the conductors at the far end(under the house in a low spot), then place those 2 bare ends about 1/2 inch apart. If the wires get into moisture or water bridges between the two bare wires, on most smoke detectors the alarm will sound. I use that setup to sound an alarm if the water in my sump gets too high. It has saved my goose several times. It will work when house power is off as long as the alarm battery is good.
Reply to
hrhofmann

Does your water meter have a flow gauge? The meters in our town have as part of the gauge a dial that spins very quickly even if there is little flow.

Reply to
yrag.neslo

of the gauge a dial that spins very quickly even if there is little flow.

I think so. I will have to check. Any particular tool to get the iron lid off the top?

Reply to
Todd

Had the same pin hole. Had four inches of water by the time it was discovered.

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

Damn I sure do, too! I end up wearing coveralls, a balaclava, and a respirator when go in there, along with a can of spider juice to knock out the black widows when I find them.

After I spend a few minutes under there I'm usually pretty happy, though, as it's cool, dark, and peacefully quiet. Well, until I have to start working, anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken