Lawn protection

About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.

I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be available in expensive full rolls.

Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Something like this:

Jeff Gaines

Can't speak for this in particular, but ebay is often the place to buy things in small quantities - either cut to length or the offcut at the end of the roll.

It probably works better for things that are feasible to post though. (I'd guess if you can order a full roll they can post 1m rolled up?)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Similar sold for shed bases - the voids are filled with gravel to level off and allow drainage.

In the OPs case sink it into the ground and let the grass grow through.

Reply to
alan_m

What I have used is road base (MOT type 1). If its really wet, simply lay down limestone and roll it into the ground, or if its drier remove turf, smack some porous material into the ground and then refit the turf a few inches higher. It has been unbelievably wet this late-winter.

Ultimately the MOT does the load bearing part but he gross grows over and between it to provide a green path

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A few of those holey black rubbery doormats laid together? trodden in when very wet

Reply to
N_Cook

:-)

Reply to
Andrew

I don't see how any mesh is going to help?

Some ideas:

I rather like the idea of coping with traffic and yet will look green. You can mow over these solutions.

Reply to
Fredxx

Well, mesh can indeed help, when it is only light foot traffic - I don't want to park my car on it.

The very link you have suggested includes:

"Mesh Protected Turf

This system is becoming quite popular with those responsible for overspill car-parking and pedestrian usage at occasional events, ... where the natural appearance of grass with the load-carrying ability of a pavement, all at a minimal cost and with little or no construction work required, is very appealing.

The basic premise is that a tough polypropylene or HDPE mesh is laid over an area of turf or grass, and this allows foot-traffic, low-speed cars and vans to use the area without completely ruining the grass. ... The mesh works to protect the grass roots from being damage, to minimise ' pumping ' of wet ground, and to avoid rutting of soft spots.

For lawned areas, the mesh is simply rolled out over the close-cropped turf, ... Once laid, they can be left in-situ for the season, or even permanently, ... For areas with longer grass, the meshes are placed after a mowing, and the grass is allowed to grow up and through the mesh, hiding it from view, yet providing sufficient stability to permit trafficking."

Which is very much what I would like to do. I have no intention of lifting the existing lawn to bury a deep grid - it is overkill in this situation.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I bought two of these for the muddy strip to the shed door:

1.5 x 1 metre pieces; £20.40 each plus £10.00 for shipping.

Someone in uk.d-i-y provided a link to a different site that only had the 22 mm version in stock, but once I knew I was looking for "rubber grass mats" I found this one.

HTH

Reply to
Adam Funk

The potential problem with laying anything on the surface of a lawn is subsequent mowing. Set the mower cut too low or if the ground is uneven the mower will start cutting the mesh and possible pull it up.

Reply to
alan_m

Hence my recommendation to dig up the surface layer. However when using grow through grids, as long as you put some weight on then first they will sink into the ground

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It indicates that it is suitable for occasional use. Is the way the OP is walking over this piece of lawn considered "occasional"?

Reply to
alan_m

That depends on the ground. You wouldn't sink one into our brash without first sieving to remove the stones.

Reply to
wasbit

I have some mats like that for placing by the touring caravan step when on grass. I have occasionally used it as temporary protection in the troublesome area if I am to-and-fro in particularly wet conditions.

I don't quite see it meeting my needs permanently.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Fair point. I have one mat down all year (right in front of the shed door) and another that I use for the colder half of the year, but I do move them to mow (there's a ding in one corner that confirms this) and I shift them around a little when I put them back.

This suits me and my lack of lawn enthusiasm, but it wouldn't work for everyone.

Reply to
Adam Funk