Lawn above septic field

Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Reply to
dean

Depends on the septic tank system.

My leach field is about 6 feet under the ground, there's no way its impacting the grass at that level. I believe more modern ones are closer to the surface, but local requirements may make that determination. You definitely won't have to water as much.

I think you may see a bit more moss in the grass, I do, but I also live on clayish glacial till.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Define "rough". How long has the field been in place?

KC

Reply to
KC

Rough - as in 'not very nice'. A bit barish and weedy and thin, maybe a bit of thatch in it.

Reply to
dean

When I saw your post, I was hoping for a knowledgeable response because mine is like that too. An evaporation field is closer to the surface and I would suspect that neutrients from the septic would make the grass grow better and roots would not dry out. ( I do know that if there are spots growing vigorously that septic is coming up.) Maybe we are applying too much fertilizer. Also my backyard pH is low and there is a lot of moss in spots which would indicate liming is necessary which I did last month.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

When you trench, you normally destroy the topsoil so if you want nice lawn, you have to repair the trench damage. With proper lawn care the difference will become less each year.

Reply to
deke

OK, here's some possibilities:

-Field is buried deep and surface is not getting enough water.

-Field was backfilled with hardpan soil instead of top soil.

-Chlorine(bleach) thru the system has changed the pH level of the soil.

First thing I'd do is get a soil test done thru your county extension service(agricultural agent). Locally they cost $8 and you get a comprehensive evaluation report with instructions on how to correct any problems found. If the report comes back ok, it's a matter of reseeding & watering. KC

Reply to
KC

Sand. Shallower septic systems are often not buried very deep, and the contractors don't put enough of a topsoil layer on top.

Also, because of vegetation clearance requirements, many septic beds have far more sunlight hitting them than surrounding areas.

Either or both conspire to make the ground a lot drier.

Reply to
Chris Lewis