Refurbish Corian counter with DA Sander

I have a medium brown Corian counter that is a couple of years old. It is beginning to show a lot of scratches and general wear. It seems that the darker colors show scratches and wear much more than lighter colors. I'd like to refurbish it without paying someone to do it for me. When they installed it, I think they DA'd it with some polishing compound or something and then just hand wiped it down. I don't really care about removing the deep scratches, mainly just refurbish the overall finish some. I'm looking for any advice on how to proceed with this. I have a PC 7424 DA sander that I can use but don't really know how to do this properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Morgan

I've got a lighter color. After 3 years, no change in appearance. They do say darker colors show more scratches. Good instructions here:

Dan Espen

  1. Obtain polishing compound for acrylic. Even rubbing compound should be OK
  2. Place lamb's wool pad on buffer
  3. Put compound on counter
  4. Buff. SLOOOOWLY so as not to heat the surface.

The finer the compound the shinier the result.

Reply to
dadiOH

In addition, make sure to wear a dust mask and clean up after refinishing. Lot of people are irritated by the dust.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

OK, thanks everyone. That's just the stuff I was looking for.

And in case anybody is wondering, the darker colors show scratches MUCH more than the lights. The difference is not subtle. If I had known, I might have looked at some other options. Probably would have gone with the brown anyway, because it looks great here, but at least I would have known. The first few weeks was hell for us. After that, we got used to the scratches. We have since started calling it "patina" and moved on to other things. Now I'm going to give it a little sprucing up though.

Thanks aga>> Morgan wrote:

Reply to
Morgan