Granite Kitchen Counter Backsplashes?

I'm thinking of replacing my tile counters with its 24 inch tall tile backsplashes and porcelain sink with granite slab counters and an undermount stainless sink. The kitchen has linoleum flooring that will be replaced with tile. What is the best way to deal with backsplashes? Make the backplash out of matching granite slab? Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring? Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile? Make the backsplash out of some other material?

Reply to
John

Only you can say, as it's mostly aesthetics. But those backsplashes, especially behind the cooktop, can get greasy. Think about it. Minimizing grout, which would be the most difficult to clean, is my thinking. Tom

Reply to
tom

I hear ya, you can do any of the above and choosing will be the hardest thing you ever did. I am just as perplexed at choosing tile for my new bathroom. There is not "Best Way" when it comes to cosmetic choices that by definition is the way You like the best.

I am considering making a diarama and pasting printouts of photos of different tiles to make my descision. Afterall, its not like paint, you can't just paint over it and it cost a fortune.

Reply to
PipeDown

The problem is, you have too many choices. Look into those new glass tiles that will coordinate with the granite. The only place you get grease is near the stove and that's about 3 feet of backsplash. So I would not worry about clean up.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I'm going to also replace the white-on-white appliances with stainless steel. What about a stainless steel backsplash throughout the entire kitchen? I think stainless backsplash may look good to me and match the new appliances, but I don't want it to look bizarre to others if I sell later. I think tall granite backsplashes matching the counters might look busy or overwhelming.

Reply to
John

Unless you're selling in a few years, it's all about taste. And taste is personal. I've just answered these questions for my own kitchen (I plan to be in my house a good while), so here's my two cents. (But remember, in the end it's about what you like..)

Personally, I think this is "too much". I dont' like the look.

Floor tiles will generally be too large for a decent-looking backsplash. But something that is much smaller can work nicely. This is closest to what I'm going with - a mosaic of very similar colors floor tile (floor tile is monochromatic 12" tile, backsplash 2 1/4 " mosiac backsplash similar shades, green 1" tumbled glass for contrast)

If it works with the countertop and floor well (and cabinets). Consider a glass tile for this. I love that look.

I've seen some surprisingly nice setups with just plain painted walls for the backsplash, painted beadboard. It's a clean look, not as plain-looking as it sounds. Easy on the budget too. I've seen stainless steel - can't get into that look but some folks rave about it.

Something to consider - I'm going with electrical strips mounted under the cabinets to get away from all the outlets being cut out of the tile backsplash.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I agree. We put dark granite slab counters in, and not knowing any better, had the installer put in 6" backsplashes in the same granite color. Now we regret it - it makes the kitchen seem smaller somehow. Closes it in, makes it darker. I think the better look is to put in some kind of mosiac tile backsplash, as mentioned below. Some of the new glass tiles would be really nice for this.

Reply to
Craig A. Clarence

Stainless tends to show fingerprints. Stainless in commercial kitchens works because you have staff that cleans it everyday. While I like the look of stainless I don't like the cleaning effort it incurs in a residential situation.

Pick something that cleans well and balances the overall look. As has been mentioned, carrying the granite up onto the wall may be 'too much'. Undercounter situations usually work better when lighter colors are used. The available ambient light is better reflected back onto the working area. Otherwise you're stuck with adding more undercounter lighting.

Frankly, unless it's likely to be extremely mess I've never had problems with just using a decent semi-gloss paint. Why shell out all that extra money to put up tile in a place that doesn't really need it? Why make the room look 'overdone' with yet another color or pattern?

Also consider how that wall space might be used. If you want to hang pictures or other things it'll be a lot of extra work if there's tile up there instead of just paint on drywall. Fixing or covering holes in tiles is nowhere near as simple.

Reply to
wkearney99

People keep mentioning "glass tiles." I have no idea what that is.

Here are some examples of stainless steel backplashes I'm thinking about.

John

The problem with this is that there are already existing tile backsplashes under the cabinets. If not replaced with some other new backsplash to cover the damage caused by ripping out the tile, the walls under the cabinets would have to be repaired/retexturized and the entire kitchen repainted to match.

Reply to
John

I don't have time to come up with glass tile links right now (sure folks can Google it).

My comments (personally) about SS backsplashes are:

  1. I worked in a commercial kitchen in my younger years. I know that commercial look is in style now, but I know personally I wouldn't want to have a little commercial kitchen in my house. You might like it (if so go for it!), but ask yourself first how it will "wear" on you visually. If you're going be in your house 15 years from now, are you going get tired of looking at a ltg of stainless steel? Especially since you will have SS appliances too, and
*really* especially if you've also gone for a big SS hood. (On the other hand, if you realy really like the SS look, that it's currently in style should not be a negative just as it really shouldn't be a big positive. It's all about what you like and want to live with!)
  1. It will show fingerprints. Commercial kitchens get cleaned up every night (I know!) and no-one is looking back there anyway. It may or may not be an issue with you - it's not like you're going to paw all over your backplash necessarily ;-)
  2. (Maybe tying into #1) Think about how it works with the rest of the house. If you have traditional furniture and warm colors elsewhere, walking into a room with all that SS can give you visual aesthetic whiplash.

Just my thoughts..

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I have slab granite for the counter tops and travertine tile for a full backslash - on the diagonal (I agree that a full backslash of granite is too much). But as I have a center island cooktop - I don't need to worry too much about grease clean-up on the tile backslash (it's sealed for light contamination).

Reply to
Mike

it's just tiles made out of glass rather than ceramic. they're pretty expensive, a lot more than ceramic ones.

regards, charlie

Charles Spitzer