Refrigerator delivery from hell

Lowes delivered a refrigerator this morning. First they took the old one out and put it in the garage. Then they took the doors off the new one and brought it in. As they started putting the doors back on my wife realized it was the wrong color. (Beige instead of white). We call up Lowes. Meanwhile the delivery guys have backed away from the refrigerator. As I talk to the salesman I touch the refrigerator and the door falls off banging my thumb and (I discovered an hour later) my leg. My thumb starts swelling up and I start treating it with ice. At that point I couldn't figure why the hardwood floor wasn't damaged (apparently my leg got full force). Lowes agrees to special order the right color and tells me to use the new refrigerator. Meanwhile the guy puts the door back on and starts to secure it with the screws and it drops again to the floor and causes one heck of a dent in the middle of the hardwood floor of the kitchen. I note on the receipt my injured thumb, floor, and wrong color refrigerator and the guys take off. I called up Lowes and they are supposed to send out someone to look at the floor damage tomorrow. Then I discover a giant and growing bruise on my leg.

What fun.

Reply to
Art

If you're anywhere near Rochester NY, please try either Charlotte Appliance, or Netzman's next time. Dreamlike experiences with two deliveries a year ago. The guys from Charlotte noticed that I'd just painted my back door, and they wrapped it in furniture pads. WHO THE PHUQUE EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING??? I think they were college kids, and probably football players or wrestlers. They handled the appliance like it was a cotton ball. Not a bump, not a sound. The other dealer did the same with the washer & dryer.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I had a previous decent delivery from sears. The guys wore heavy harnesses and actually carried the front loading washer in. This is the giant Whirpool model.

I switched to lowes though because with the cost of appliance repairs, they provide reasonable relief with a 4 year service agreement that starts after your warranty is over for under $100. Sears charges 3 times that.

Reply to
Art

Hmmm.....everything comes with a price....hidden somewhere. In your case, the price might end up being your floor, and depending on your age and how quicly you heal, your bones.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Next time stay out of the way and let the men do their job.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope nothing more serious than a bruise on your leg. Just curious, why did they remove the doors from the fridge?

Anyway I've learned my lesson with Lowe's. Their last (handsomely paid for ) performance was to deliver and install a water heater, leaving the tank half full (half empty if you tend to be pessimistic).

I had to bleed air from the faucetts all by myself after the two experts left. Never again...

Reply to
Carpenter

Strange, but true: My heating contractor turned out to be the best deal for a water heater, correctly installed, on time, and neatly.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Damn that is hard work :\\

Reply to
LoL

You got what you paid for.

Lowes has no "experts", but they sure market them as such.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Tight fit thru the door they said but more likely they did not want to carry the weight.

Reply to
Art

Not really. I paid good bucks for a poor service. Anyway I was lucky that nobody dropped anything on me or on my floor, as it happened to the OP

Reply to
Carpenter

Not all that strange. If you shop around to the local stores, you find that Lowes and Home Depot are no big bargain. Year ago the little guy down the street was more expensive, but with buyer co-ops, they are very competitive and usually superior in service.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yea, really.

You paid for that neat sign that stated that lowes experts would come out and install your water heater. Since Lowes has no experts, you got EXACTLY what you paid for. You paid for marketing.

You can get piss poor service anywhere, but you stand a better chance NOT getting bad service, with a local reputable company.

Lowes is learning here, that most plumbers will now install the SAME water heater they sell, INSTALLED, for about the price they sell it for.

Reply to
CBHVAC

What he got a hotwater heater installed and then had to get off his ass and turn on the water....

Reply to
LoL

Why do you think he wants to heat hot water? Do you?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

To make it hotter of course.

Seriously guys, don't you think it's about time to stop squirting out that question every time someone writes "hot" water heater.

Itsa fact of life that's what more people than not call them, the same as they say ATM "machine" and PIN "number".

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

But its still funny...

Reply to
CBHVAC

Bad thumb, ruined floor, bad knee, sounds like free frige and a gift certificate. Sears brought out a frige, guy ripped new wallpaper, got pissy at me, and quit Sears. Sears gave us the frige free, a double door top model. Go for it.

Reply to
m Ransley
[snip]

To save on your energy bill. Hot water requires less energy to heat to the required temperature, than cold water does.

Reply to
Dave
[snip]

NIC card, CD disk, HIV virus.