Lowes Contractors for Kitchen Cabinet Install

Does anyone have experience using Lowes for kitchen cabinet installation? Good or bad???

I am buying my cabinets through Lowes, but the contractor's estimate seems a bit high. I am assuming part of the issue is the markup on the service by Lowes.

Reply to
DLK

I think it is 20%.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Probably not. But there's likely room for negotiation. Try and get hold of whoever prepared the estimate and start breaking it down into parts. You might find they've included something you don't need, can do yourself or whatever. They might even find a simple arithemtic error -- made intentionally or otherwise. It's very common, trust me!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Thanks for the input. Good suggestion on going over the estimate. I tried to get the salesperson to fax it to me today, but he could not. Will make sure that I see it in person to review.

Reply to
DLK

Wow. That seems a bit high. But I suppose that one has the backing of Lowes on the work and it would save the hassle of finding a reliable contractor to do the job...

Reply to
DLK

No, I've heard lots of horror stories with the big box contractors. You may find a local guy just as cheaper and reliable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There have been so many negative post about Home depot & Lowes contracting services I would think twice about letting them do any work in my house. You better read the contract real carefully before the job is done they have it set up where you only have a little bit of money to hold back. Also from my own experience ordering anything that's special Windows Cabinets any special order most likely it will be screwed up, late, wrong, partial delivery most likely all of the above. I will never order any thing from them again, Lowes,HD, Expo if it's not on the shelf order it somewhere else. If you want my honest opinion you will be better off finding a contractor to do the job let him order the cabinets let him give you a total price and a realistic time frame on job completion. I can guarantee you this if you go with Lowes you will hear more than once from your contractor I didn't order the cabinets.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

It took Lowes 2 plumbers and about 5 trips and they still never got my dishwasher installed right. I will have it fixed when I replace cabinets (not Lowes). And their refrigerator delivery guys removed the refrigerator door and dropped it on my hardwood floor. Twice.

Reply to
Art

That sounds awful. I have had similar experiences with Sears delivery/ installation and wouldn't use them again unless absolutely necessary.

Reply to
DLK

Sears by me actually is pretty good. 2 guys use a harnass and carry appliances in without touching the floor. And they seem to have decent small job installers in the Raleigh NC area for dishwashers, etc.

Reply to
Art