refridgerator stops intermittently

I have been having a problem with my Whirlpool side by side refridgerator model ED25DQXVW.

The refridgerator is approximately 16 years old and recently it has been stopping, and then after a number of hours it begins cooling again. When it is working it cools well. When it goes it goes on after shutting down it may work for days at a time, perhaps up to a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem and how I might troublehoot it.

Thanks,

RR

Reply to
Richard Rosell

Maybe the defrost timer is sticking in the off position? Or the compressor overheating.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

After the compressor shut off for about an hour crank the thermostat up and listen for the compressor to start. If it doesn't you might have a problem with the thermostat or defrost circuit. If the compressor tries to start but makes a clicking noise (cycles on overload) then you may have a problem with the compressor electronics. If you don't know how a fridge works, this all can be confusing. Find a blog on the net with some troubleshooting techniques as that may familiarize you better with your fridge than a news group might.

then search for "repair refrigerator."

Reply to
Meat Plow

When did you last time took back cover off and vacuum the garbage that accumulates on condenser

Tony

Reply to
tony

A worn door gasket can increase defrost time

Reply to
Telstra

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy